Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Just wondering who all here actually works as a programmer. By that I mean you have either a full or part time job doing programming.

Freelance doesn't really count, though feel free to mention it.

Anyways, if you do, I'm just wondering how you feel about it.

As for me; right now I'm at my second programming job. I'm making $25 an hour, which is awesome (no degree), yet I completely hate it just because there's nothing exciting about what I'm doing. It could all be done by a first year programmer. I'm taking HTML parts and turning them into modules that can be included.

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
I'll do it! :D

--

I get a fair amount of paid freelance work - both coding & editting & modifying :)

If I could get the work, I would do it full time - it's something I enjoy, so as a job it should work well! :)

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
I was totally of the same opinion before I started doing it as a job. I thought, "how could I hate doing this?" Freelance is so much better, because you can pick and choose your projects, not too mention that you pretty much have complete control over the work.

When you work for someone they can force you to do things the wrong way instead of the right way, simply because they don't know any better themselves and don't know enough to be able to keep up with the way that you propose. Plus you get stuck doing mundane tasks with a lot of HTML. I spent three hours today formatting sloppy HTML just to fix bugs.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I've done some minor stuff for paid work, but that's it. I'm currently looking for a summer job in programming though. That'll be interesting and should be an eye opener... it's something I hope happens because I really do need to know if I like it or not, in case I choose to pursue CS as a major/minor in college.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
I wouldn't mind working as a web programmer, but I think game programming is much more interesting (which is what I'm learning now). :) Of course, I might be wrong, in which case I'll probably move back to web programming :P Or just do both.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Simie Avatar
I wouldn't mind working as a web programmer, but I think game programming is much more interesting (which is what I'm learning now). :) Of course, I might be wrong, in which case I'll probably move back to web programming :P Or just do both.
Game programming doesn't seem like it would be too bad.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
I've also been trying to get used to doing some planning, which is why I invested in a nifty white board:

simie.co.uk/uploads/White1.JPG

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Haha. I have notebooks filled with notes and plans. I don't currently have space for a white board, but I'm moving in august, so perhaps that will make matters different.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
I tried using notebooks, but not being able to change things without making a mess annoyed me, as did drawing on a computer. The only problem with a whiteboard is that I'm left handed, and as I write I tend to smudge what I just wrote. >_>

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Simie Avatar
I tried using notebooks, but not being able to change things without making a mess annoyed me, as did drawing on a computer. The only problem with a whiteboard is that I'm left handed, and as I write I tend to smudge what I just wrote. >_>
Use Egyptian! Or write your own language. Just for the record, I always pitied left handed people writing in pencil.

newBookmarkLockedFalling