Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Medusa is being licensed under one of three different licenses depending on how you want to use the source code. In a nutshell, If you want to make money off the source code, then you will have to pay a fee. If you just want to make games and release them for free or just for fun, the source code and engine is free of charge.

Medusa is the engine that is used to power DarkSpace (http://www.darkspace.net), and includes the GameCQ Launcher and client update service, which features integrated chat facilities. Resourcer, our visual and audio asset management system, is provided as well.

Features:

Medusa is a C++ game engine that has been in development since 1998.

* Scene-Graph Rendering System - Includes Static, Animated and Skeletal Meshes, Solid BSP Tree, Particle Systems, Dynamic Lighting, Sprites, Lens Flares, and Sound nodes.
* Distributed World Simulation - Dynamically distribute the world simulation among any number of machines on the server backend.
* Resourcer - Edit and version control all game assets using one tool
* Cross Platform - All hardware specific systems are accessed using abstract classes.
* Complete Audio Systems - Single shot and streamed sounds, audio compression, audio capture, and interactive digital music.
* Network Systems - Client/Server classes, compressed sockets, and more.
* Factory Based - The entire engine is based on using factories to create classes for serialization and class enumeration.

Further information, and the full Medusa Engine SDK source code can be found at k. We have also provided a copy of the DarkSpace source code (without art assets), for educational and reference purposes.

If you have any other queries, then please contact us at support@palestar.com.

Regards,

Robert Kelford
Palestar Community Administrator

Forking sweet. I'm downloading this now, I'm really interested in seeing the source code of a MMO :) (Both the engine and darkspace source code are available here)

I'm especially interested to find out how they did the distributed computing, thats been the main thing I can't think of a way to do.

... to turn this into a discussion, does anyone here have any interest in game design? Graceful and well thought out code fascinates me. Its always interesting to see what the programmer was thinking when he/she wrote it.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
I'll take a look at it when I'm not about to pass out :P

I wouldn't mind learning game design, but it's not my primary focus. But yeah, I know what you mean about reading good code. Half of my learning has been through reverse-engineering.

newBookmarkLockedFalling