Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
kwcounselling.com/node/554

Tolerance is not the same as acceptance. Tolerance is putting up with something, while acceptance is completely accepting it and agreeing with the idea. This note in inspired from an idea that Caity Rogers(in the video) brought up in a video recently, that got me thinking about an idea that was brought up to me earlier this year.

Tolerance
From Dictionary.com:
"A fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry."
or
"The act or capacity of enduring; endurance: My tolerance of noise is limited."

To tolerate, is not to agree with or necessarily like. I may tolerate a loud, annoying noise but it doesn't mean I agree with it being loud and annoying and it doesn't mean I like it.

Tolerance is saying, 'Sure. You can do what you want. But I don't agree with it. I don't think it is right. But I'll let you do it. Just don't force it on me.'

From kwcounselling.com/node/554:
"...I don't like that word. Tolerance means you still don't like me, but I'm going to put up with you."
-Caity Rogers

Acceptance
From Dictionary.com:
"favorable reception; approval; favor."

Let us look at the root of this word, accept.

From Dictionary.com:
"to regard as normal, suitable, or usual."

Seeing a difference in tolerance and acceptance yet? They just are NOT the same. To accept is to come to terms with, and to personally beleive that something is ok.

Have an opinion? Post a comment.

Last Edit: Sept 12, 2009 4:16:19 GMT by Chris
k

nsane

nsane Avatar
Prophet

Official Member

August 2009
I think Acceptance isnt exactly agreeing with an idea or opinion, but rather understanding and being open minded towards that idea. The rest of the post i do agree, there is a difference, otherwise there wouldnt be a need to have two different words. :)

newfieldgrafix
This is a big one, it's the same with the LGBT Community, where's the line between tolerance and acceptance? Employers in the UK have an "Equal Opportunities" Policy, but how much actual employment is down to the policy or acceptance?

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Many places are not hiring based on the 'law' not because one person's better than another... in regards to the UK @ Zell.

I for one know some people who are better than say someone else, but haven't been hired 'cause the other person fits into a 'minority' and so they need to hire the other one for their legal security.

newfieldgrafix
Unfortunately you hit the nail.

I'd never do it, regardless of the law - if that guy/gal's better, then s/he gets the job.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
nsane Avatar
[...] otherwise there wouldnt be a need to have two different words. :)

Not true. They're called synonyms. Two different words that mean the same thing. Often times synonyms hold different connotations like "hot" and "scorching", but the basic definition is the same.

Of course, I agree that tolerance and acceptance are two very different words and their differences should be noted because they are important.

newBookmarkLockedFalling