Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
I was just wondering,

This is mainly to the javascript guru's out there but something that has crossed my mind recently.

NB i want everyone's opinion on this not just js guru's

With all the rising of js libraries and frameworks such as jquery, scriptaculous, prototype etc... Do you think the javascript community has become lazy? would you experts rather write your own code or do you utilize these libraries and frameworks.

Is it really worth sacrificing time to learn the in's and outs of javascript when the likes of jquery can do practically everything you need in daily usage?

I personally love having the use of these, especially jquery it seems to have made a whole lot of difference to my coding ability. or am i just being lazy? lol.

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
I am by no means an expert, but jQuery just saves so much time - and is easy to implement and use. Customization is also completely possible, so you can achieve you effects with relative ease.

If you want to learn more, go ahead and learn - but it'll be a long time until you master the level required to outdo jQuery. I'd just stick with what works.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Occasionally I have to write custom code, but most of the time I'm using some library or another. It's good to know javascript thoroughly yourself though if you ever have clients, because you will constantly be running into whichever library they use, be it in-house or open source.

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
I was always up for developing things myself, however, I then got a request that explicitly required jQuery.. so I had to learn it... played with it and it's good.

I always thought it was a lazy man's way of doing something, but if all the cool kids use it, why not?

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Michael Avatar
I was always up for developing things myself, however, I then got a request that explicitly required jQuery.. so I had to learn it... played with it and it's good.

I always thought it was a lazy man's way of doing something, but if all the cool kids use it, why not?
Lazy? Sure. Efficient? Sure. My clients seem to love that I can use a library instead of redeveloping libraries or writing longer bits of code. Less hours means less money they have to pay.

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
I think the best thing with jQuery too is that it helps younger less experienced coders get their feet under the table... i'm no expert with javascript, infact there was a point that if i had to do something in javascript i'd run a mile lol. However now with jQuery i'm really maximizing the potential that my projects can output, all by a few simple lines of javascript albeit it minimal effort required.

Now i don't ever do a project without using jQuery. I'm currently working on a huge project that not only uses jQuery but also jQtouch for iphone web development. Is it me or is a lot more potential coming out of the woodwork in these last few years?

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
The web is evolving, that's why there's new things appearing.

- yea, I was just against them in the past, thinking that people never actually learnt JavaScript if they jumped straight to a library.

However, I'm now using it, and learning it slowly! :)

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
I personally avoid all kind of libraries like the plague. I enjoy efficiency, and memory is included. If I'm working on something and need one function from a lib, I'm not gonna include an entire lib for that one function, so I write my own version.

Last Edit: Mar 18, 2010 2:28:40 GMT by Tobias
#intj (Mastermind)^

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Tobias Avatar
I personally avoid all kind of libraries like the plague. I enjoy efficiency, and memory is included. If I'm working on something and need one function from a lib, I'm not gonna include an entire lib for that one function, so I write my own version.

This is true, that's why when using a library you have to consider if it's worth it..

Most libraries are rather small in size nowadays anyway.

Chronologik

Chronologik Avatar
I bring with me delicious RosaSecta.com

March 2010
Tobias Avatar

I agree with that entirely. Unless you need a good portion of a library, such as jQuery, just stick with your own code. To replace using the entire jQuery library, I just wrote my own single function AJAX call (I mainly use javascript for AJAX).

I'm by no means against jQuery, I just personally avoid using it unless absolutely necessary. Besides, as an amateur coder, I want to fully master javascript on it's own before I start worrying about libraries.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I've never had to actually use a JS library of my own will. :P At my internship this last summer I had to use jQuery in some of the things I developed because it was based around Wordpress. I do consider it lazy, but I also see where it is efficient. However, I don't like the fact it's more or less like learning a new language since they change the actual calls and everything. Past that, I can see why people use libraries and why they're good, I just haven't had a need for them yet.

On that same note though, I'm slowly looking into how to use jQuery efficiently for my new calendar program because I don't feel like writing a miniature calendar implementation for both the PHP and JS sides of the program, thus jQuery and it's plugins would be very helpful. :P

I probably seem contradictory here, but oh well. :P It's what I do.

newBookmarkLockedFalling