Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
So I read all of them pretty much when they came out, but I recently started re-reading, and am still absolutely in the love with the story.

So for those of you who actually read, what are some books/series that I might enjoy if I thoroughly enjoyed HP.

(Note, have read lord of the rings and narnia. Started on lightning thief and stopped after a few pages because the writing seemed like crap.)

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lord of the Rings and Narnia are the two main ones. Rowling was heavily influenced by both of them (Deathly Hallows is essentially the LoTR storyline). I'd also suggest The Hobbit (for obvious reasons) and Beowulf (Tolkien's all time favorite story and the largest source f inspiration for his works).

I'd also suggest His Dark Materials (the series that The Golden Compass film was adapted from), which was meant to be the anti-religious children's epic in response to Lewis's overtly religious epic of Narnia.

Artemis Fowl is another series that is along the same genre lines, but much more clever than HP is. Those books aren't quite as deep and thought provoking as HP, but are good reads nonetheless

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
I'd also suggest His Dark Materials (the series that The Golden Compass film was adapted from), which was meant to be the anti-religious children's epic in response to Lewis's overtly religious epic of Narnia.

Seconded. A thousand fold. Love that series.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Never actually read it, I just know that it has a lot in common with the others. Always wanted to read it, just never got around to it. Maybe now I'll be able to with that brand new puppy, right Luci?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Never actually read it, I just know that it has a lot in common with the others. Always wanted to read it, just never got around to it. Maybe now I'll be able to with that brand new puppy, right Luci?

Assuming you're talking about the Kindle you're "not getting", yes. :P Honestly, I never got around to finishing the series. Made it maybe halfway through the third (and last) book before having to return it to one of my teachers because the school year was over. But the first two I can vouch for in their entirety, and they kick so much ass. Great, great books.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Josh Avatar
Lord of the Rings and Narnia are the two main ones. Rowling was heavily influenced by both of them (Deathly Hallows is essentially the LoTR storyline). I'd also suggest The Hobbit (for obvious reasons) and Beowulf (Tolkien's all time favorite story and the largest source f inspiration for his works).

Artemis Fowl is another series that is along the same genre lines, but much more clever than HP is. Those books aren't quite as deep and thought provoking as HP, but are good reads nonetheless
Thanks for the recommendations, still having gotten the time to check them out, but hopefully soon.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Have you read the Dune books? As far as I know, they're nothing like Harry Potter, but it's another well-loved sci-fi series, so you might wanna give them a try?

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Have you read the Dune books? As far as I know, they're nothing like Harry Potter, but it's another well-loved sci-fi series, so you might wanna give them a try?
Read 'em. Loved 'em. Also not directly correlated, but if you're willing to suspend your disbelief, the Redwall series was pretty awesome when I last read it (middle school, so it might be a bit childish now, I'd have to re-read one to see).

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Oh my god, guys. What about Twilight. Have. You. Read. Them. Awesome!

I'll go to my corner now.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Josh Avatar
Oh my god, guys. What about Twilight. Have. You. Read. Them. Awesome!

I'll go to my corner now.
Read the first, skimmed the e-books of the rest just to see what happened. Complete garbage if you ask me.

newBookmarkLockedFalling