Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Forum Spamming 2

The last article went well, so I decided to make a second. This contains alot of what the first article had, plus more, and its much more organized.

1) Before we start

Before you start spamming you must know and understand spamming goals. Understanding your goals is a very important part of spamming. Please keep in mind that your goals are separate from your plan. Here is a good goal list I've compiled, and I advise you to keep these in mind.

• You should be noticed. Spamming without anyone caring is or even reading the spam is such a waste.
  • You should tick people off. If everyone thinks your great then whats the point? (1)
  • You should enjoy yourself. Your ultimate goal should be to have a good time. Feel free to laugh out loud while you're spamming.
  • You should gain some experience. Every time you spam make sure you learn something, you want to perfect your skills.

Now for guidelines, there are general guidelines to all Spammers and I advise you to stick to them.

• Don't swear, seriously, polite spamming is so much better. No need to put swear words over other peoples websites. (2)
  • Don't spam your friends boards, or people you know.
  • Always remember, that every person on the forum is a real person, with feelings. There is such a thing as taking something too far. (3)

2) Choosing the right forum

When you decide to spam a forum, its very important you chose the right forum. Here is some advice for you to help you make your decision.

• Company forums rarely work well, as there is no real community and no one remembers or cares about what you do.
  • Smaller forums are not a good idea either, as staff will rarely come on, and there isn't too many threads to spam up in the first place. There is lots less variety, and lots less people to annoy.
  • Large boards is the best way to go. Why? Because people will reply and read your spammy threads and there are lots of staff.
  • Always bookmark the forum, and threads you take part on. If you're an experienced spammer keep good track of what you've done where. Forum bookmarks are a bad idea because you may want to show someone some of your work after your are banned or deleted.
  • Never go to a forum that is already spammy with lots of swearing and improper posts. No one will care what you do.

Here are some links to help you own your way:

www.big-boards.com
www.phpbbforfree.com/directories.php

3) Registering

Okay, you've found a forum. Now what? Well its time to register. Most forums you can easily register in a matter of moments. But its usually smart to...
  • Use a different user name then you usually do.
  • Use a different email.
  • Use a different password.

Sometime a complete Alias can be fun, if you're good enough you can pretend to be a doctor, or a lawyer who has found copyright problems in the forum. Once you've received your email log in and set up your signature and other information. (4)

4) Spamming Strategies

Here are a few different strategies to consider using when spamming.

a) Stupidity Technique:
The name explains it all. Become completely stupid! Thats right, stupid. You see, this is your first forum and you've never used a forum before. You need to learn how to use your signature, avatar, personal text, posting, how drop down menus work, etc. Have accidents, like starting 20 threads without knowing it, replying 50 times, forgetting where you can log in and requesting assistance, the list goes on.... Just have fun with it!

b) Alias Technique:
You are a lawyer, the forum has broken copyright laws. You are a philosopher, you're writing a paper and would like opinions. Your a programmer, and like to talk in binary code. Whatever you can think of!

c) Bad boy technique:
You know exactly what your doing. Your just a plain trouble maker. See how many threads you can before being banned, reply to every thread in a board, get other peoples threads locked, argue about the rules, etc.

d) Annoying technique:
This has got to be my favorite. You know those people that everyone hates? No matter what they do it somehow bugs you. Become one of them. Never really break the rules enough to get banned (for a while anyway) but drive everyone insane. Reply to every thread with your opinion, argue everything, request for lots of support. Max out your code and graphic requests and support every week. Continue to create annoying requests and asking for lots of help, all within the rules. Complain when it doesn't get done. Complain that no one likes you, find lots of little bugs in the forum and demand they be fixed. Give annoying reviews of graphics.

e) Moderator Technique:
In this technique you pretend to be staff. Act like you really think you are staff, say that you know the admin and he gave you permission. Lock threads (say they're locked) and let no one reply, or else yell at them. Threaten to ban members, get mad at people for nothing.

f) Off-topic Technique:
This is a very common spamming technique. How it works is that you get every thread off-topic. You wouldn't believe how many threads threads one member can turn around. Don't do too many at once though...

There are many more spamming techniques, but I don't have time to write them all. Also, many of these have sub tactics as well. But as every forum is different, you may need to improvise as go along, using more then technique is fine.

5) Ideas list

Here are some ideas to get your brain going, some of these are from the techniques.

1) Post every post in a very hard to read text color. Like this
2) Speak in binary or another language.
3) Make all of your text a link. Pretend its an accident.
4) If the forum allows html in the posts, put frames in all your posts. More then one scrollbar can be very fun.
5) Put a huge transparent signature in your signature
6) Use way too many smilies. I mean Way too many.
7) Double post every time you post. Pretend its a browser bug.
8) Request as many graphics as you're allowed. Post tons of code support questions, make them really hard.
9) Submit useless stuff to index's. (IE. A table to the html index, a blank forum to the forum skins, etc.)
10) Make all of your posts rhyme.
11) Use thesaurus so your posts don't make much sense.
12) Start a chain pm.
13) Search for very old threads and reply to them. Bring back all the old threads.
14) Create your own rules, ask them to be stickied.
15) Post really specific threads that no one knows about. "Who here plays Chinese dragon chess?"
16) Pretend to be an admin that used to own the forum before it got taken over.
17) Offer the admin $1,000 for the admin account.
18) Create your own index, ask members to submit there work.
19) Capitalize all your posts
20) Make all your posts images and upload them.

Hope these can help generate some ideas of your own!

6) So now what?

You've spammed a forum, been banned, now what? Think back, what was the best part? Who did members react to different things? Improve your skills for next time.

1) Actually, sometimes turning the whole forum for you is a good thing. But this takes a while and is usually not worth it.
2) There are exceptions ;D
3) Actually some members aren't people. There is such a thing as a Auto-ForumBot that posts to make it look like you have a members. Also, there are people who have no feelings.
4) Do not fill in your signature, etc. if you are attempting the stupidity technique.

Well everyone, theres version 2. Took some time to come up with it all. I'm thinking of making a forum that completly dedicates itself to spamming and sends spamming teams to other forums.

Last Edit: May 15, 2008 22:38:32 GMT by Chris

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
Thanks for putting it up.

I didn't put much into the last one because I thought everyone would find it offensive. So I decided to add some of my "Techniques", also added some ideas to the idea list.

Thanks for putting it up :)

Last Edit: Nov 27, 2005 3:27:17 GMT by 17Godzilla
enalia.proboards92.com/index.cgi

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
"Actually some members aren't people. There is such a thing as a Auto-ForumBot that posts to make it look like you have a members. Also, there are people who have no feelings."

LMAO!!! That was hilarious!

And nice work man, I want to start a spam squad now. :P This sounds like alot of fun, I seriously need to find a forum. I'm not the kind of guy who will spam for no reason though. I usually do it to people who are rude, piss me off, or are n00bs. Man, you should go out and find out as much as you can, and make a huge article on this. Packed to the brim with techniques, info, and tips on how to spam and to become a successful spammer.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
If he does, I'd give him mod powers so he could post. :P

Further ideas
- Request password recovery on admin or staff accounts
- Send them PMs asking to be staff
- 74||< |1|<3 7|-|15 (Talk like this)
- If the UBBC doesn't parse correctly (doesn't have to have an ending tag), and uses tables, screw up the forum by making a table, table row, and table cell but don't close them. Or better yet, do it randomly.

Last Edit: Nov 27, 2005 6:04:16 GMT by Chris

Ovi

Ovi Avatar
.forgotten

Dedicated Member

October 2005
Yet another brilliant article. Goo job. Godzilla :)

Team Studio

Team Studio Avatar

Administrator

June 2005
Well, at least we know what sort of tricks people will use when they try and spam SZ :P

And if anyone of you are thinking about that: beware, as Mojo will fry your monkey butt :P

Ovi

Ovi Avatar
.forgotten

Dedicated Member

October 2005
admin said:
beware, as Mojo will fry your monkey butt :P

Don't have one :P >:(

Curious George®

Curious George® Avatar
Music Lover

October 2005
admin said:
And if anyone of you are thinking about that: beware, as Mojo will fry your monkey butt :P

Quit making fun of me :'( just cause im curious george doesnt mean you have touse me as an example :P

Grab this Headline Animator

FireCracker

FireCracker Avatar

Official Member

December 2005
17godzilla said:
Thanks for putting it up.

I didn't put much into the last one because I thought everyone would find it offensive. So I decided to add some of my "Techniques", also added some ideas to the idea list.

Thanks for putting it up :)

Always knew you were a straight up spammer. :P
Don't Click!

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Who cares? We've put the techniques to use once already. :P

~*Moonshadow*~

~*Moonshadow*~ Avatar

Official Member

December 2005
74||< |1|<3 7|-|15 (Talk like this)

Geez. Thanks for translating that, as I hadn't a clue what it said! :P

I laugh at these, but I'd be so mad if someone did this to me.... :P

"In space, all warriors are cold warriors." - General Chang, Klingon Chief-of-Staff

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
Hey, can you change the email at the end to thebarrock@gmail.com

that yahoo email is so old.
enalia.proboards92.com/index.cgi

snoozyboozy
This is HILARIOUS!!!

roaring with laughter whilst reading isn't all that easy!!

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Oooh, Chris is good at 733t

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
steynj said:
Oooh, Chris is good at 733t

Read again. 17Gozilla wrote this article, not me. :) Articles just have to be posted by staff ot prevent this board from being spammed.

newBookmarkLockedFalling