Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I'm Not Goth by Lucifer

Someone who sees me at first glance will probably think what most people think: he's a goth. Why do they think this? Maybe because I wear all black. Maybe because my pants look like these and my hair looks like this. But you know what? I'm not gothic. In fact, I'm quite far from it. Sounds crazy, I'm sure, but let me tell you why these misinformed views are so inaccurate.

The first culprit is always the "all black" thing. First of all, I like black. There are a lot of colors in the world, is it so crazy that my favorite is black? Of course not. Also, black is a very distinguished color. The secret service wears black, nice sports cars are black many times, etc. No, I'm not trying to look fancy, but surely you can agree that more times than not, black looks good. Oh, lets not forget about my shirts. I wear band shirts which are always black. I can't really help that in this case. And my pants? They're from Hot Topic and all of the "goths" wear them. Actually, my pants are the strongest argument for me being metal, not goth. I would like to tell you a little bit about Judas Priest. In their early days, they wore spandex, colored clothes--basically the glam band look. But, they changed that look. They wore chains, studs, and leather. This quickly became the "metal" look. Now, I don't have the time or money to find and pay for specially designed leather pants, so the pants I do wear work fine. They are a good representation of me and the music I listen to.

Enough about my clothes, though, what about me? First of all, my hairstyle isn't goth. If it were classed as any one style, it'd be punk. I'm not punk, I just like mohawks. In fact, I've wanted a mohawk ever since I was about 4 or 5, long before I cared about trends and styles. People just see it as abnormal, combine it with eccentric black clothing, and then slap an ignorant label on it. Really, it's more foolish than anything else. Besides, I don't wear eyeliner, face paint, or any other makeup that is common among goths. Keep in mind, certain black metal bands wear face paint, but that's just to compliment their image (many times involving spikes, studs, and occasionally even armor), not because they're goths.

How about my lifestyle? Do I fit the goth lifestyle? Well, I'm not a literal goth by any means (ie: Visigoth). But what about all of that stuff that goths do? Write gothic and depressive poetry, listen to gothic music, and do drugs? I don't write poetry. With the exception of epic poems and a few other specific poems, I generally hate poetry, reading or writing it. And music? I do like metal. All metal, actually. But, my focus is more on heavy metal (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden), thrash metal (Slayer, Metallica), and death metal (Deicide, Nile). Gothic and industrial metal (quite easily the two most frequent forms of metal listened to by stereotypical goths) are far from the top of my list. Besides, where does it say that listening to a certain type of music makes you something? It generally corresponds with your particular style, but it by no means dictates it. Oh yeah, I almost forgot drugs. Drugs have nothing to do with being gothic. Nothing.

So lets review, shall we? I don't dress gothic. It may be similar, but my style has more roots in my musical tastes and subjective opinions, not any trend. My hairstyle is more punk than anything. My music is sometimes classed as goth, but is generally more associated with hard rockers, metalheads, and the like. So, basically...the only thing that makes me look gothic is my color of choice. Labeling someone based on clothing color is as naive a statement as you'll ever get. Oh, and I do not in any way associate with gothic heritage, lifestyle, or trends. Those just aren't my thing, so I don't do them. Clearly, the common stereotype about me has stemmed from ignorant and misinformed prejudism. Boy, if black makes someone goth, what would other colors make someone? Pink would be prep, green would be Irish, brown and grey would be hobo, and the list could go on.

I hope I informed and enlightened some of you by reading this article. Maybe you'll think twice next time before you label someone. If anything, though, I just hope that I don't get called a goth by any of you. There is nothing wrong with being a goth, but I'm not goth, so I don't want to be labeled as such. I'm sure you could say the same thing.

unleashedmadness
I've been saying this kinda thing for ages. We usually call people like you describe 'chavs' here. Many people do it because of their clothing, which would just be the same as calling you a goth in this case, but I don't. It's because they act like the way you describe (and are violent, usually), which is what the word is meant to mean anyway.
What annoys me more are people who try to call themselves 'goth' or some equivilent when they're not, though. That's just silly.

Heh, I get called a goth and I wear blue jeans most of the time. The colour of my shirts vary, but they're usually black or red. Actually, I get called 'goth' in my school uniform sometimes. I reckon it's because of my hair. They think any long hair on a boy (or what they think is long) is goth too. Look at my picture, my hair isn't very long. :P

Last Edit: Sept 24, 2006 20:22:49 GMT by unleashedmadness

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I'm glad you wrote this lucifer. Labels are sick and wrong, and thje stupidest thing invented by man. I am like oyu in the way that i wear black almost constantly. Black is a great color. And i listen to metal too. Gothic emtal is a competely different genre :P

Further mroe on the labels topic, Gothic isn't the only sutpid label. Every label is stupid. And the msot recent label, emo, is the worst excuse for classifying a person i've ever heard of. I would encourage people to actually get to know a person before they label them.

I could say some more stuff, but i'll let other people talk ;)
k

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
there ain't nothing wrong with labels... infact i'm proud of my label... i am punk, and i have never been called anothing different... i have been called mosher before but thats close enough to the same thing except new punk these days listen to stuff more like green day and blink etc... there is never any need to be ashamed of who you are although i do agree the fact that noone should be stereotyped to one label... you are who you are noone can ever change that

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I also have nothing wrong with labels. It's when labels are wrong that I get mad.

nrich

nrich Avatar

Banned

October 2006
i have been called mosher before

What's wrong with that? That's not a label like goth or emo.

I also have nothing wrong with labels. It's when labels are wrong that I get mad.

The emo label has become so mainstream the past few years that it disgraces the original emo. People always say "Oh emo is just short for emotional". Please, take a plunger to your face right now and get your facts straight. Emo was short for a music genre called emotive-hardcore. Taking Back Sunday, Story of the Year, Dashboard Confessional and friends hit the scene and emo became something it wasn't. It was tagged onto bands that are alternative rock, it was onto people who have nothing in common with the original emo. It was twisted into a false genre and a ridiculous label.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
glad someone has some common sence :P
k

(¯`•DregondRahl•._)

(¯`•DregondRahl•._) Avatar
Remanifesting-Eternal

Dedicated Member

September 2006
lol, its strange...i wear all black most of the time, some times mix it with red or grey, but im just comfortable wearing that, its just fine with me . sure i listen to heavy metal band and on occation listen to gothic rock, like cradle of filth or lacuna coil. but jsut coz my music choice varies doesnt make me a brooding goth either. infact lots of people call me goth just coz i have black hair or the clothes, its funny coz im not even pale, iv got really taned skin.

in general people label you at first view, but in truth if you are goth, or punk or nerd boi.. it doesnt matter what color hair or clothes you wear, you are what you are with or without thoses things as a factor.

its when you start labling the wrong people that things get messy, nothing wrong with lables idea, its a personal opinion or perspective to public view. nothing more.

just like music genre , imagine britney spears being called goth rock, just coz she wears black?

okay thats enough lauging...im sure the goth comuntiy will come over and killme for picking sucha terrible example. but they better relize its all in explination :P

Cr0w

Cr0w Avatar

Official Member

April 2006
Yeah, i know how ya feel lucifer. All i wear is black clothing, i have one shirt that's red, but the rest is black. I also have long black hair and wear studded wristbands and chains.

Does that mean i'm goth? No.

I like the way i look, which is why i wear what i do, and why my hair is the way it is. It represents my interests. All i listen to is rock and metal.

Yes, this includes alternative rock, hard rock, death metal, screamo, and the like. The only bands i listen to that might be considered "goth" are Lacuna Coil, Cradle Of Filth, and Atreyu. The rest is all metal and rock.

The thing with labels is that people who don't share the same interests tend to stereotype us because they think all our music is the same. If you have long hair, you're a punk. If you wear all black, you're a goth. If you wear tight pants, you're an emo. If you wear jerseys and really baggy pants, you're a gangster. If you wear turtlenecks, you're a prep.

I mean, honestly, why should a piece of material determine who you are? You wear what you wear because you like it, not so you can be labelled.

I honestly don't care about what people call me anymore, i've gotten used to it to the point where i ignore it. I just don't pay attention, cause i know they're stupid.

Last Edit: Oct 15, 2006 17:30:18 GMT by Cr0w
CT Graphics Coding & Design

Smurfy

Smurfy Avatar

August 2005
Same situation, i wear black jeans, black coats, madfish boots etc. but i don't consider myself a goth and yet all of my mates seem to consider me one. I don't even know what i really am so when people start labelling me, it can get annoying.

.Create

.Create Avatar
Meep.

June 2007
Very well spoken, lol I get called emo all of the time.
Chris put it nicely though :)

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
fredy said:
I'm glad you wrote this lucifer. Labels are sick and wrong, and the stupidest thing invented by man. I am like oyu in the way that i wear black almost constantly. Black is a great color. And i listen to metal too. Gothic emtal is a competely different genre :P

Further mroe on the labels topic, Gothic isn't the only sutpid label. Every label is stupid. And the msot recent label, emo, is the worst excuse for classifying a person i've ever heard of. I would encourage people to actually get to know a person before they label them.

I could say some more stuff, but i'll let other people talk ;)

Really? I thought tactile paving was.

newBookmarkLockedFalling