Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
Individualism: The New Way To Fit In

Before I begin, I would like to draw attention to the graphic displayed above. Entitled “Individualism” it was created by me in 2005 as a sort of social commentary. Until now, I’ve never explained how the title and graphic relate.

The graphic depicts a man who is being ordered to leap to a painful death before a cheering crowd. The commentary here is that society, in all its factors, has turned individualism from what should have been a quietly understood given into a conceptualization that is completely blown out of proportion.

The fact that this man is about to leap to his death is not, surprisingly, the focus of the argument. The focus is in the words of society. “Do it.” The way things are today, we are hedged and forced into a thought pattern of “I must actively strive at being different than everyone else.”

What’s wrong with that? Only the fact that in society’s forcing that process upon us at a young age (you hear it from your parents, from friends, from your teachers at school, etc.), we effectually become the very thing we are told to avoid. We become just like everybody else. Another person who must be their own person.

The man in the graphic will die if he does what he’s told to do. Our own individualism dies when we strive for it because that’s what we’re told to do. For what other outcome can there be? Individualism has become a new trend, and trends by definition are the very opposite of individuality.

Am I saying that you shouldn’t be an individual? No! Never that. I myself understand myself to be an individual, as well as many other people that I know. However, we dare not let ourselves maintain mistaken priorities.

I believe we can agree that if you wear a certain style of jacket because so many others are wearing it, you are not being individual in that aspect. You are following a trend. How different is it to NOT wear a certain jacket for the sole reason that so many others are? Are you not being affected by the trend just as much as if you had decided to wear the jacket?

Perhaps the reason I have unconsciously resisted writing this document is because by writing it, I am going against my own views, after a fashion. I am allowing myself to be affected by the current notion that individualism must be placed upon a pedestal, much as the person who does not wear the jacket to make a point is being affected by the trend.

It is difficult to keep quiet however, when I see so many people actively tricking themselves into thinking they are different from everyone else, when, at the base level of motives, they are exactly the same. They are all trying to be so... different.

Bottom line what I want to get across is this: Don’t try to be different than others. Just live your life. Individualism will work itself out.

- Lou Cypher

Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Pretty good article. I just had a convo in class about this type of thing in school yesterday. Only problem at my school is that EVERYONE are trend whores. Anyone who looks any different gets weird stares, comments yelled at them, and made fun of. Trust me. I know. I seem to remember many days getting the the "emo" comment.
k

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
Very interesting article.

I was thinking: What if you want to wear that jacket just because you love it and want to and not because its a trend? How would everybody else know the difference in reason? So is that Being Individualistic or a trendwhore? How do you differentiate?

Lou Cypher

Lou Cypher Avatar
Harbinger

Official Member

September 2005
I would consider that just being an individual. You're not doing it because you're supposed to fit in, and you're not doing it because you're supposed to be different. You're just wearing it.

Sunshine

Sunshine Avatar
You are my sunshine

Dedicated Member

August 2006
My father doesn't seem to understand this. When I explain that I don't mind being seen as weird, he automatically interprets that to mean I strive to be weird. I don't. I do what I want, and don't let the opinions of others influence my actions. Striving to be different is conformist, even though you're 'different' on the outside.

Nice.

~Artemis
I My Boyfriend

In his hand
the pen that lied
this is how
the author died

¿Quién te cortó las alas mi ángel? ¿quién te arrodillé para humillarte?

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
You are very wise Artemis.

Sunshine

Sunshine Avatar
You are my sunshine

Dedicated Member

August 2006
Flattery is not a good tactic with me.

Wisdom is a lovely trait. Not one I possess, however.

~Artemis
I My Boyfriend

In his hand
the pen that lied
this is how
the author died

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
I am sorry - I forgot to ascertain all possible connotations related to what I said before I said it. Sheesh! what's the world coming to? Can't you even say something without somebody having a problem with it??

Sunshine

Sunshine Avatar
You are my sunshine

Dedicated Member

August 2006
Sorry, generally when people say that I'm wise, they are making fun of me, or want something.

Didn't mean to offend. ;)

~Artemis
I My Boyfriend

In his hand
the pen that lied
this is how
the author died

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
its cool. and fyi I detest flattery as well and I never eat words - and I always say what I think is right.

:P

And Yes you are wise.

Sunshine

Sunshine Avatar
You are my sunshine

Dedicated Member

August 2006
... OK... back on topic, now, please. :)

(Maybe I shouldn't have taken us off-topic..)

~Artemis
I My Boyfriend

In his hand
the pen that lied
this is how
the author died

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
I am going on a tangent here --- I just thought. Being an individual means having a free will and doing your own thing. In other words don't go with the flow and even if you do, go slow so you stand out. I mean in any way possible. But if we talk of the bigger picture - Being an individual entails conflicts at all levels. Because no two individuals will think EXACTLY the same way. Lol and in the famous words of Seven of Nine of The Borg:

"You are erratic, conflicted, disorganised. Every decision is debated. Every action questioned. Every individual entitled to their own small opinion. You lack harmony, cohesion, greatness. It will be your undoing."

Virtuoso

Virtuoso Avatar

May 2006
Individualism is like perfection. It is something fossilized by mankind into being something only the greatest in society posses, yet it is truly just a figment of catalism. It' s a form of driving force we have given ourselves.

But what we fail to understand is, nobody is truly an individual. I am incredibly different from the rest of my school -- I'm intelligent and enjoy political discussion, I am a self-proclaiming nerd, I excel in all areas of academics. But in this I wear good clothes, I am athletic, and I am far more "in-the-scene" than most of the people who want to and believe to be. I do not strive for individualism, I rather be as individual in every right possible.

If everybody was an individual, it would in a sense be detrimental to societies living. We humans thrive off of knowledge of ourselves, our peers, and our world. Meeting an entirely new person every where you look wouldn't quite help that.

Just my $0.2.

Sunshine

Sunshine Avatar
You are my sunshine

Dedicated Member

August 2006
When debating the morality and overall good qualities of an aspect of society, you have to look at two different criteria: is it good for the society, and is it good for the individual?

These two are not mutually exclusive. Individualism on a small scale can be helpful to a society. To have the ability to think, and to have more than one focus and trail of thought. A simplified form of multi-tasking, if you will.

However, too much independent thinking hinders the progress of a society, which is the problem with an absolute democracy: it takes forever and a day.

In closing to this rant, I think that individualism is actually a good thing for private citizens. However, when in a society, and individual who conforms is more valuable than an individual who refuses to conform, generally.

~Artemis
I My Boyfriend

In his hand
the pen that lied
this is how
the author died

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
Exactly - what of Seven of Nine said in my post above :)

newBookmarkLockedFalling