Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Most excellent article on Cnet.

Saw it on Digg and felt it was an excellent read. Here is the comment I posted on Digg:

Completely agree here. Games shouldn't be blamed for something like this. The kid had problems. Did they take a look at the parents? Was he neglected? Abused?

Why is it that GTA is automatically blamed for things today? It's not like we didn't have gang violence and shootings and stuff before GTA was released, right? Nope. It all started the second GTA started getting played by millions and millions of people. Now every drive-by I hear about (I live about 10 miles from Detroit so I hear about a lot) is somehow related back to Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City, etc. by the media as a way to say "the kid thought Detroit was San Andreas and people randomly dying was a normal part of life that he should partake in." Bullshit. The kid had unexplainable rage likely related to the high rate of gang violence in the area (hell, there are stores/restaurants here that won't let people in that wear a solid colored shirt anymore) and acted on it.

I also liked how in the article they made mention of movies. The most popular movie right now and one of the most successful films of all time is a great example. The main character (I'm sorry, Batman isn't the main character of the film) goes around giving people a Glasgow Smile. He blows up Hospitals and cars, shoots public officials, kills a guy by having him drink acid, and leads to a guy's girlfriend/fiance dying and half of his face being burned off. On top of that, one of the most memorable and most quoted scenes from the movie involves said character shoving a pencil through a guy's head as a "magic trick."

Now why, why is it that video games still get blamed for stuff when the most popular movie of the last decade is this violent and twisted? Because we can play it? Hah. That doesn't explain why this violence has existed since the dawn of man and why it will continue to exist even after video games are over with.

Thoughts?

Sasuke

Sasuke Avatar

August 2005
GTA can't be blamed for problems of humanity, nor any other game, but I do hope they get rid of GTA then people will stop overrating it and realize how much it sucks.

Last Edit: Aug 5, 2008 23:44:40 GMT by Sasuke

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Sasuke Avatar
GTA can't be blamed for problems of humanity, nor any other game, but I do hope they get rid of GTA then people will stop overrating it and realize how much it sucks.

GTAIV and Vice City are fun as hell, dude. :P

Remixed

Remixed Avatar

April 2006
I completely agree. GTA is an awesome game to play (especially IV... gah, have been playing it since the day it came out and I can't stop!) and to blame a video game on why you just committed a crime is pathetic and is no excuse.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
While they can't be blamed, it is human nature to shift the blame away from ourselves (or this case society's issues) to something else (violent video games.) Unfortunately, people will believe just about anything off of the media, so this is the real issue.

newBookmarkLockedFalling