Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
steamgames.com/tf2/heavy/

It is time, once again, for another class update for TF2. It's been known for months, now, that the heavy was the next class to be updated. Apparently, this update is intended to make the heavy more of a powerful class when playing solo. If the heavy has a medic accompanying him, he's pretty hard to beat. If not, though, it's pretty damn easy to pick him off. This update is intended to change that.

Valve will release new information daily until Tuesday, Aug. 19, the day the update will be released. Supposedly, this update will feature a new community map, a new gameplay mode, and a few new Valve maps, as well as another "Meet the Team" video (which are all hilarious), in addition to the new heavy unlockables and achievements.

On Tuesday, it was revealed that cp_steel would be part of the update. This is a very well designed community map that I'm pretty sure I played before. While it's extremely huge and hard to get used to, it is kind of fun. I'll admit that much. It'll be a controversial subject on whether or not to add it, but everybody should get used to it. More details here.

Today, one of the new unlockables was revealed, along with the list of achievement names. The unlockable is the new melee weapon: the K.G.B. (Killer Gloves of Boxing. Very funny, Valve. Very funny). These gloves make the melee attack slower, which can really hurt when you're the slowest class in the game. However, in exchange for that, you are guaranteed 5 seconds of all critical hits for any weapon you use after you kill an enemy with these gloves. Extremely useful if you can get the minigun spinning fast enough and are surrounded. I can see how that would help with solo survival. Melee-only sudden death will also be made a lot more fun with this (especially in the Bar Room, since it's Heavy-only melee-only sudden death. Fatty boxing, ftw!).

In addition to the gloves, the achievement list was released. However, it's only a list of the achievement names and icons, not the details on how to get them. By the looks of the names, they are really making fun of the fact that the heavy is a Russian character (don't forget that the game is set in 1968). More details can be found here.

Can't wait to see what comes out tomorrow. I've also heard that the next "Meet the Team" video is supposed to be the pyro (no confirmation, that's only what I heard). I hope so. Maybe we can finally learn the pyro's gender. >.<
wat

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I'm excited for this update so that I can play Sniper and Spy. Headshot every 5 seconds? Backstab every 2? kthxbai.

I have to admit that quite a few of those achievements are fairly clever. Here's my guesses for what a few of them are: (Though we'll probably know by tomorrow. :P) ## = a random number

Division of Labor - The medic healing you breaks off and kills the target you're attacking ## times.

Communist Mani-Fisto - Punch ## enemies or Kill ## enemies by punching. (Ruskey will have this by the end of the day I bet.)

Redistribution of Health - Have ## medics healing you at once.

Crime and Punishment - Kill ## enemies carrying your intel.

Rationing - Kill ## enemies with your shotgun while you have full ammo.

Vanguard Party - Kick ## enemies (Kicking is another unlockable?)

Soviet Block - Block a capture by standing in the way.

Pushkin the Kart - Push the cart to the end by yourself or be involved in every point capture with the cart.

Stalin the Kart - Clever, no? Anyways, block a cart capture.

Marxman - Kill ## snipers with your chain gun from ## distance (or without the distance.)

Purge - Kill the entire enemy team in one life or kill ## enemy spies?

Soviet Union - Work with a fellow heavy to capture the control point or something similar.

0wn the Means of Production - Given the lightning bolt in the icon, use your (supposed unlockable) freeze gun to stop stickies shot at you or to move them.

Five Second Plan - Use a teleport once and then again 5 seconds later.

Krazy Ivan - Kill ## enemies from underwater while they're above water

Photostroika - Be punching another enemy when a first enemy gets their death cam shot of you.

Konspicuous Konsumption - Eat ## opponents. (O_o)

Icing on the Cake - Play as a heavy in Portal. :P

Don't Touch Sandvich - Kill ## scouts

Crock Block - Punch a demoman with a crit right before he shoots his grenade/sticky nade gun

Borscht Belt - Run ## meters

Kollectivization - Fire ## bullets for a total cost of $99999999999999. (Just 'cause the others are outrageous on that and stuff.)

Well, those are my ideas. :P I guess we'll see soon enough.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Today's info has been released. One of the new Valve maps: badwater basin. Like goldrush, this is a payload map (blu team pushes a cart through red defenses to multiple checkpoints). However, it's only one stage with several checkpoints. While goldrush focuses on tight spaces with multiple stages, badwater basin will focus on one large open space. It's a whole new method of playing the payload maps.

It kinda flip-flops the entire scenario. In goldrush, offensive classes would dominate. Defensive classes like the sniper and engineer weren't much use. In badwater basin, the offensive classes, like demoman and heavy, will find it very hard to work around. Meanwhile, defensive classes will dominate. In my opinion, this makes the defensive classes the new offense and the offensive classes the new defense. Should definitely be interesting. More info here.
wat

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Pssh. I always play sniper or engineer on Goldrush and do fine. :P I guess I kinda like the new map, but I'm almost hoping BRH doesn't add it to the rotation since I like the current rotation (minus 2 Fort and Castle). It does look like a good map, I just don't think I'll like it much.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Friday's is here! Meet Natascha, the Heavy's new unlockable minigun! Unlike Sasha (the current gun), this one is 25% weaker. This means that it'll take longer to kill enemies. However, in exchange for that, the enemy will slow down when hit. This makes him easier to finish off. Great for picking off the fast guys that want to get away. More info here.

Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008 18:35:15 GMT by Scorpian
wat

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Yeah.... not using Natascha. :P Sasha is good enough for me. Killed 6 scouts in a row today, so I doubt I need to explain why.

I'm looking forward to playing some games in the new Arena game type too. Looks fun and should be a nice change of pace.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
Today introduced the Sandvich. It's an alternative to the heavy's shotgun which will slowly heal the heavy.

Also, the actual update was released today. Good luck getting it though, I've been trying for almost three hours without success. Actually I can't even play TF2 right now because the Steam servers are so busy (apparently). The changelog is here: steampowered.com/platform/update_history/index.php?skin=0&id=440
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Released early? Damn it. I got the update just fine right now though. :P Time for my spy+sniper rampage of DOOM. =D

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
haha I can't do near crap with a heavy.

Soldier, sniper, scout ftw.

PrincessPeach

PrincessPeach Avatar

Official Member

May 2008
I can has Team Fortress 2?

Will someone play with me and teach me the ropes so I can give this game "another chance"?

newBookmarkLockedFalling