Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

tcm

tcm Avatar

Studio Member

January 2008
Hey guys it's TCM again, recently I've purchased a new laptop and it came with Microsoft Office 2007 installed, but you can only use it so many times before paying to have it fully activated. I don't have my office discs anymore and I'm not gonna talk about pirating because that's against the proboards TOS. So I went on a search for some alternatives.

My favourite so far is GoogleDocs, it's a really nice service, totally a browser interface (in true google fashion), you can save files online for later viewing, upload files, or save it as common extensions such as a Word File, .txt, HTML, PDF, or Open Office, which brings me to my next alternative.

Open Office, also free, I first heard about it from a friend who needed it to manage some accounting stuff, who mentioned it was free. I wasn't inspired to find it however, and found it by googling for Word alternatives. I'm downloading as we speak so I can't really give it a review, I've heard good things though. So if anybody out there has tried it I would appreciate some input :).

Any other alternatives you guys can think of? Or can you comment on Google Docs and/or Open Office?

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I've used all the mentioned as well as iWork. Honestly... nothing compares to Office. That is your best bet. Except for Powerpoint. You're better off with Keynote from iWork. :P

webmaren

webmaren Avatar
Una salus vicits, nullam sperare salutem

Dedicated Member

August 2007
Openoffice is good, except its weak point is slideshow templates. But you can download free PowerPoint templates online, as well as some templates for OO itself.

Abiword was interesting when I used it, it's a decent word processor, but it's not an integrated suite so I went back to OO.

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
I've used Open.Office Writer before. Pretty decent. I've not really used Google Docs. But I do want to use it sometime. Another free word processor that was very nifty in getting what I needed done (without any of the gloss) is LyX on Linux. But that was on my cousin's comp.

tcm

tcm Avatar

Studio Member

January 2008
I used openoffice.org's writer, it's really slow for a word processor, my points still go to google docs.

Salvager

Salvager Avatar

July 2006
i use open office. i think its good enough. never used Google Docs.

.trance\\

.trance\\ Avatar

August 2005
OpenOffice is decent, but it's definitely got some bloat to it. If you're just looking for word processing, AbiWord is definitely a good option. I've used it myself and it's pretty attractive and easy to use.

I did a search on Download.com and found a piece of software that might be nice- Go-OO.

As for online apps, Zoho seems pretty nice. I haven't used it myself.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I personally use Microsoft Office. Ftw. :P
k

newBookmarkLockedFalling