Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Ok, this is mainly a rant, a celebration of my 1k and a discussion. Something that I think we all need.

I'd like to point out the amount of spamming and crappy little posts that are appearing on the forum. I'm coming on to post and seeing new posts *woo* 8-) when I view the topics I find that they're just pointless :'(.

To be honest, and no offence to SI, this is starting to end up like SI - a place where most the posts are spam ... which I don't like and makes me sad! :(

I know there are some other members out there who feel the same - but what is done about it is down to the staff ultimately - we can't tell you how to run the place.

In all honesty, I'd like to see the warning system come out - and more verbal warnings to the members that do it.

Granted, at times - I might be one of the members to spam - but I'm getting fed up with it! :(

As a side note - can we ban news threads unless they're either world changing or interesting or PB/SZ Related.

Oh and Party about my 1k pl0x?

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
I admit SI is becoming a bit of a spam-centre. There are a few threads which are interesting, but a lot is crap.

I personally think the cause is members/staff who believe they are above the rules because they have been around for a long time etc. This is definitely the case at SI. =/

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Simie Avatar
I admit SI is becoming a bit of a spam-centre. There are a few threads which are interesting, but a lot is crap.

I personally think the cause is members/staff who believe they are above the rules because they have been around for a long time etc. This is definitely the case at SI. =/

I know that this might be starting to creep in here - especially the members who 'know' the staff rather well and thus wouldn't have any warning or anything given to them.

I wouldn't say a member here thinks they are above the rules, I just don't think they're enforced much! :-/

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
Yeah. It's pissing me off. Congrats btw.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
We get awarded points for doing stuff that contribute to the forum, I say we make a list of things that gets us punished. For example, quoting to agree with someone loses you 5 points. That kinda thing

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
posts with less than 2 letters lose 2 points? good ideas.

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Josh Avatar
We get awarded points for doing stuff that contribute to the forum, I say we make a list of things that gets us punished. For example, quoting to agree with someone loses you 5 points. That kinda thing

One word posts lose you points equal to the number of letters in that word + 2? :D

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Michael Avatar
Josh Avatar

One word posts lose you points equal to the number of letters in that word + 2? :D

Should be 10-number of letters in the word (no negatives)

Otherwise shorter words/posts would lose less points.

It might be a lot more work for the staff here though. Though maybe not much more than handing out warnings..

Last Edit: Aug 17, 2009 23:34:11 GMT by Simie

Michael

Michael Avatar
*Has a custom title*

October 2007
Simie Avatar
Michael Avatar

Should be 10-number of letters in the word (no negatives)

Otherwise shorter words/posts would lose less points.

It might be a lot more work for the staff here though. Though maybe not much more than handing out warnings..

I think 15 with a minimum of 5? :-/

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
lulz.

No, I totally agree. Yeah, this is a double post, but it just makes my previous post slightly funnier. But the amount of spam and useless topics is getting quite annoying. Especially all the people who quote to agree and say nothing more. That's just plain dumb.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
You have to encourage quality posts, not regulate them. You really think you'll find gold filtering through dirt? You want something to talk about, take care of it yourself. Stop venturing into the "Age," "School is retarded," and "When You're Bored" threads.

n00b.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
The School is Retarded thread is actually quality (as far as CC posts go).

I agree that you have to encourage quality. Sitting around waiting for people to "do it better" will do nothing. However, I think if we just expect people to change their ways without any sort of verbal communication, we'll fall on our faces. Unless you tell someone to stop spamming, chances are they'll continue.

Also, Aaron, keep in mind that this thread is about all "n00b posts", not just useless threads. Quoting those you agree with and posting virtually useless posts like "ha" or "lol" or what-have-you. Those are things that must be addressed and won't go away just because everyone else decides to post quality.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Okay, to be honest, why do I feel like a good deal of this is my posts?

First off, no banning (wrighty wants to ban me :P) for posting a news thread. I think one or two on occasion is fine personally, but banning because you make it! That's fuck.

Quoting to agree is something I do when I am lazy. If I am not supposed to do that, fine, say the word.

Finally, congrats on comapling and posts. :P

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
My point was that those are the threads most susceptible to nonsense posting. Topics like those tend to get underplayed because they're basically venting threads.

And i'm rarely--if ever--seeing "ha" or "lol" posts. I think Wrighty just got bored and decided to go on a rant.

newBookmarkLockedFalling