Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Why was this thread locked? It was a perfectly valid thread where people could easily find information and ask questions. There's no reason that anything pertaining to that thread HAD to be taken to PM. If people wanted information on a topic relevant to ProBoards and this forum (that being wImg), they could ask there. If they didn't, the thread would die a natural death. It did not have to be locked.

Furthermore, you keep locking other threads by Jack for no reason. You get into childish arguments with other members. You threaten people with warnings for cursing. It's been established that there's nothing wrong with cursing here so long as it's not abused, which no member so far as I can see has done so (other than myself, maybe, but no one else seems to have a problem with it).

In another thread, you talked about having a personal life that seems to be more important than your life here on the internet, and that it's some sort of excuse for your attitude. It is not. If you can't properly handle your responsibilities in a mature fashion, you need to resign, take a break, or just shut the fuck up.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I dare you to find another member who disagrees with me.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
As much as I like talking to Fredy... I gotta agree with you, Lucifer. >.>

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
I've just been lurking lately, and I've noticed the increase in Fredy's locking. It's great to have a staff member who cares for his forum, but when he just starts throwing shit everywhere, ad expecting members to take it, people need to step up.

I understand what it's like to have problems in life. My life is pretty fucked up. Just take a break. I'm sure Chris would understand if you need a break. We all do. But taking it out on the members, it doesn't seem right.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Fredy, I have completly lost my cool with you. You'e gone wild with locking threads and warning people over the craziest little things. First off, it sparked discussion. Second off, it wasn't us spreading rumors, it was us wondering what had happened, Wrighty came in and talked, and we listened. k? And third off, you've been a dipshit for like the last few weeks, from changing my display name (BTW reason?) and post qualities, and then from warning me to give me an official warning for putting "What the Fuck" in a title when I've seen threads with swear words in it, to this. This has to stop. I don't even want to hear from you on MSN. Blocked. And trust me, you've really made me hate this place over the last few weeks.

Am I going to complain? Fuck yeah.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
Jack, you're really not helping yourself. xp

It's been said, let it go its way.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Quacker Jack Avatar
Fredy, I have completly lost my cool with you. You'e gone wild with locking threads and warning people over the craziest little things. First off, it sparked discussion. Second off, it wasn't us spreading rumors, it was us wondering what had happened, Wrighty came in and talked, and we listened. k? And third off, you've been a dipshit for like the last few weeks, from changing my display name (BTW reason?) and post qualities, and then from warning me to give me an official warning for putting "What the Fuck" in a title when I've seen threads with swear words in it, to this. This has to stop. I don't even want to hear from you on MSN. Blocked. And trust me, you've really made me hate this place over the last few weeks.

I asked Chris about your name a few nights ago. He said that the staff is going to be putting a limit on name length soon due to issues with v2.1 and it messing with the mini profile. It was going to be like 13 characters I think.

So... yeah.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Josh Avatar
Quacker Jack Avatar

I asked Chris about your name a few nights ago. He said that the staff is going to be putting a limit on name length soon due to issues with v2.1 and it messing with the mini profile. It was going to be like 13 characters I think.

So... yeah.

well, no one told me that. :P

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
For the record, and I'm pretty sure I said this before, I didn't change your name jack. So stop assuming it was me.

But more importantly, since no one seems to like me as a staff member, then fine. Like I said in another thread, I have more important things to worry about, such as real life.

so without further ado...

I quit. And as soon as Chris or SO comes on, they can feel free to demote me.

k

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Lucifer... are you guys serious? If you felt like something needed to be done about Andrew, bring it to his inbox or talk to Chris about it privately. I see no reason why this needed to be made public and make him feel like shit. The thread you linked to up above, honestly I feel that with Wrighty's post, the thread ended there. All questions need to be directed at him, and he said answers would be up on the site. Why do we need a thread about it as well?

Fact is, you bringing it out into public like this isn't anymore mature than whatever Andrew has been doing. He's been a great staff member for years, always been super active, and he's a friendly guy. So for him to step up and resign because of this thread, it's ridiculous. Everyone just needs to stop bitching, take a chill pill, and remember that this is only a forum. And frankly, Jack gets on a lot of people's nerves. And Andrew wasn't the only one who's publicly said something to him. So let's not point fingers, hmm?

Oh, and Jack. As for the editing of your name, I believe I asked Scorpian to edit it because I had PMed you about it being too long, you ignored me, so he changed it for me. Simple. if something is stretching the boards, like your name was. It'll be removed. Shouldn't have ignored my PM, and you shouldn't have pointed fingers at Andrew.

Last Edit: Sept 8, 2009 4:18:31 GMT by Kay

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
Seemed like feedback to me? And it certainly affects the whole forum, so like it or not, it's a public matter.

Besides, the whole point was to say that Fredy's been on a bit of a power binge. He's even admitted to it. You really think Luci got upset 'cause he locked one particular thread? And you really think Fredy's constant badgering on Jack amounts anywhere near to a couple people telling him to shut up? So there was doubt he'd listen to a PM, and going behind his back to someone else is as dirty as going public ('cause, you know, the public's unaware).

As for making him feel like shit, again, he's been a bit of a dick. And unfortunately for the members, their complaints have fallen on deaf ears. That approach has been tried. Why give him the luxury they didn't get? Moreover, I hate to say it, but life isn't about holding hands and skipping through a meadow of roses. Sometimes people just need a good kick in the ass. He's not even out of high school, he'll get over it.

And to keep people off my tail, yeah, i'm a bitch, too. And I take things too far. And I don't know when to shut up. Yada yada. Point.

Last Edit: Sept 8, 2009 4:53:07 GMT by Aaron

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Ok, time to reply and clear a few things up.

1) Jack: I edited your name. I had planned to get the name limit announcement up (as Josh) mentioned within a few days so I didn't feel the need to PM you at the time, but I apologize for not getting it done as planned. I've been completely swamped and college hasn't even started yet.

2) As the technical head admin, if there is EVER an issue with a staff member being out of line, doing something ridiculous, or abusing their powers, the complaint should be made directly to me via PM or IM or even text, for those with that ability. I have YET to receive a single PM or IM regarding "power trips" by Fredy.

Even if I'm not around, people could have bitched to Kay, Scorp, or SO. They can get ahold of me. Fuck, any of the staff can really. I made absolutely sure of that before I went "away." They have 24/7 access to my phone via text. Ben and Kay (and even Josh) have my cell to call if absolutely necessary.

My point in all this is that I never even saw a single complaint. My name should make it obvious that I haven't been looking at posts in the CC, where the issues apparently took place. If you guys called him out there, I obviously didn't see it since I'm NOT HERE. In which case, you should have shown me the issue via PM or IM. Then I would have talked to him and tried to sort out the issue. But instead, you did an immature public call out.

3) Fredy: I do kinda agree with them about the thread being locked. It should be open for discussion really. HOWEVER, I do see that it could have caused issues with people yelling at Wrighty with a "BRING IT BACK." I also don't see why they didn't just PM you saying "Can you please unlock this thread? We don't feel the discussion was over." I've unlocked the thread, but will lock it again if Wrighty wishes it locked or it becomes an issue.

4) Jack: While swear words are fine inside a post, putting them in a thread title is a little more of an issue. Thread titles are shown nearly EVERYWHERE and thus can provide a bad rep. If you had used "WTF" instead, that would be fine. An official warning may or may not have been warranted. I haven't been around enough recently to be in a place to make that decision based off additional behavior. Oh, and Aaron's right. :P You really aren't helping yourself.

5) In regards to the bullying/taunting/whatevering of Jack, Fredy was definitely not the only one in the past. I had to have a talk with 3 or 4 of my staff members and some members. Whether it continued or not is a different story.

That's all I have to say for now. Whether this clears things up or not, I don't know. I can only hope for the best.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
@ ChRis... I PM'D SO. :P And then, tell me why I saw a title with "Nigger" in the title and it didn't have a problem?

Oh and Kay, I did change it shorter.... then it was changed by you guys.

Last Edit: Sept 8, 2009 13:33:00 GMT by Quacker Jack

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Quacker Jack Avatar
@ ChRis... I PM'D SO. :P And then, tell me why I saw a title with "Nigger" in the title and it didn't have a problem?

Oh and Kay, I did change it shorter.... then it was changed by you guys.

SO is also technically away, so PMing both of us would have been the ideal situation. (Scorp isn't any better in the "here" category either.) Like I said, I'm technically the head admin so the staff are "my" staff and complaints should be first directed to me.

In regards to your name, it was "Quacker Jack [CONOR IM ME NOW!!]" when I changed it. That was still too long unfortunately. Plus, that could have been sent in a PM to him. =/ It was unnecessary.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chris, there have been complaints of Fredy's behavior. By me. Publicly. It didn't change a thing. And now that he's locking threads, I'm not allowed to give my opinion on issues that he, personally, feels shouldn't be discussed.

I never meant to beat him into submission with this thread, but the point is pretty clear. If his personal life is affecting him THIS much, he needs to at least take a break or rethink his decisions. If he can't do either of those, then maybe resignation is a good thing. I know he was an excellent staff member before, but he is treating Jack too harshly. And yes, Kay, he gets on my nerves and everyone else's, but he's been getting better, and that's no reason for a staff member to treat him the way he does (especially when the staff is treating him worse than any member has).

Also, Kay, I agree that what I did may not have been the most mature way to handle things, but I DO believe this should've been a public issue. A PM from me is going to convince him to change his attitude? I doubt it. I made it public to gain support. Again, the fact that he is so easy to throw in the towel as soon as someone calls him out on something further proves my point. It's an ugly truth. I don't want to be an asshole and start insulting and criticizing the staff to the point where they resign, but there is a real, legitimate issue here and if he can't find it within himself to properly fix this, then he doesn't deserve the position.

I just can't get over how this turned out. "OMG you guys must hate me and I have a life so fuck you I'm gone." That's the one and only thing he said to a thread criticizing him for his 2 months of behavior. He had no excuses or defenses. He didn't argue. He didn't do anything. He just threw his hands up, called me the bad guy, and resigned. Maybe he is that selfish, maybe he isn't, but he shouldn't be a staff, or not right now, until he sorts his fucking life out. Because apparently his life is so monumental that it comes out in something as ambiguous as the internet.

Again, maybe I'm being too much of an asshole, but this is the honest truth. I think Aaron said it best. "Moreover, I hate to say it, but life isn't about holding hands and skipping through a meadow of roses. Sometimes people just need a good kick in the ass. He's not even out of high school, he'll get over it."

And that's the truth.

Last Edit: Sept 8, 2009 16:57:54 GMT by Lucifer

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer, you're not being an asshole. You and I both know what happens when a staff member loses control and uses their power abusively.

I was a Gmod at SSD shortly after it hit its peak. I went nuts on enforcing our rules. Yes, our rules were a little strict but I enforced them to the letter and it nearly killed the place. In the long run, I feel partially responsible for the death of SSD.

It puts a feeling of "Fuck it" into members thinking about posting. Why post when the odds are it will be locked? You don't want to post and I think that this has led to the inactivity as of late.

You were a Gmod (maybe admin) here at SZ and you know that there is a very fine line between letting the members get away with murder and locking them in prison. If you don't toe that line carefully, you are going to end up losing control of the forum.

As for Fredy resigning after this, I can see where he is coming from. He's been thinking about it for a while from what I understand. Do I agree with it? No. It honestly feels like his stance hasn't changed. All it did was go from "I don't think this should be discussed, locked" to "I don't think I should be discussed, fuck this, I'm gone". But I do understand it. He does have a life (something I do not) and it's his prerogative to live it how he pleases.

newBookmarkLockedFalling