Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Okay guys, I am convinced.

I know this old news, but since I have been using Opera recently a lot, I haven't realize this. But for those of you who haven't noticed, google now has their add-on extension feature working. And damn it is cool. Right now I got Macros, Facebook, web screen shot, Grooveshark, html to pdf, wave, and WOT extensions downloaded, and they are all almost flawless. And it intergrates nicely.

So officially, Google Chrome is now the fastest, lightweight browser with extensions. Suite.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Fastest and lightest weight? From what I've heard chrome uses about 1.5x-2x as much memory as firefox, which is known to be a memory whore.

In terms of javascript, I believe that chrome is one of the slowest. For the simple benchmarks that are something like a repeating loop that uses a date it's faster, but for libraries like jQuery (which are now what the majority of web developers use) it's slower.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Speed means nothing. Each browser is fighting each other to load pages milliseconds faster than the others. That's so little that you can't even comprehend it.

Until Chrome allows me to modify its chrome (odd sounding, but correct vocabulary there), I have no use for it. Until then, Firefox will remain my browser because I can transform it in any way I want. My browser is used so much that I have developed it to work as I need it to. Every single thing about it is customized to fit my workflow. Chrome can't do that, thus Chrome is not king.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Chrome doesn't take my cup of tea either unfortunately. :P Yeah, sure, maybe it's fast... but Eric already showed why that may be flawed. It isn't nearly as customizable as I'd like either, so for now I stick to Fx.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chrome doesn't have the SimAquarium widget.

Ya know, as long as we're throwing out things we like about other browsers...

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
Eric Avatar
Fastest and lightest weight? From what I've heard chrome uses about 1.5x-2x as much memory as firefox, which is known to be a memory whore.
Until you use Firefox for five minutes, and then it's using 20x as much as Chrome is with one tab open.

As for the speed of jQuery, this is Chrome on the left, and Minefield on the right. Ignore the color coding, the results are compared against other libraries and the fastest and slowest one are highlighted in each browser (Although you can see that of the libraries tested, jQuery was consistently the fastest one in Chrome).

#intj (Mastermind)^

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Tobias Avatar
Eric Avatar
Until you use Firefox for five minutes, and then it's using 20x as much as Chrome is with one tab open.

As for the speed of jQuery, this is Chrome on the left, and Minefield on the right. Ignore the color coding, the results are compared against other libraries and the fastest and slowest one are highlighted in each browser (Although you can see that of the libraries tested, jQuery was consistently the fastest one in Chrome).

Can we have a link to the full set of results? Might be useful either way. :)

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
It's actually a tester that does it. However, jQuery themselves produced a very complete tested set of results themselves with a high number of trials. I'll go with their answers. linky. Also note that you test you provided is one for selectors only, and does not show the speed of any other operations such as creating elements and so forth. It's hardly a comprehensive test.

In terms of extensions, firefox can't control what you put on there. However, a plain firefox with no extensions is not that bad in terms of memory. Except for extensions, the amount of memory used by a browser does not change based upon how long it's been open. For all amounts of time, Chrome uses 1.5x-2x as much memory.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Safari sucks for Macs. How is it good on Windows?

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Nothing Apple is good on Windows. ><

newfieldgrafix
I'm not a fan of Apple products period. So that rules out all those "Fruity" browsers. Chrome has PNG issues, I've found (could be fixed b now).

FireFox is my weapon of choice, which other browser lets you skin its UI with a hot Animé chick?
This court stands adjourned...

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Opera. For someone addicted to pr0n, it's the safest and most secure.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Lucifer Avatar
Safari sucks for Macs. How is it good on Windows?

I don't know. iTunes works great on all my computers, and Safari use to be my favorite browser (until FF3)

When did I say anything about iTunes? And you've failed to mention how Safari is anything but suck.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
xmsteel Avatar

I don't know. iTunes works great on all my computers, and Safari use to be my favorite browser (until FF3)

When did I say anything about iTunes? And you've failed to mention how Safari is anything but suck.
Josh mentioned anything apple sucking, so that's probably where he got that.

Safari is just in general dangerous due to all the security problems (at least it used to be, might have gotten better by now).

xcessive

xcessive Avatar

Official Member

February 2010
Safari has improved. I coded my own browser for a while in Objective-c. It sucked cawk. I use chrome now, its OK with the latest updates. I still use ff when all else fails.

Fast, simple image hosting.

newBookmarkLockedFalling