Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Any big chess players here? I personally play chess a fair amount as a hobby, and I used to play in tournaments. So just wondering who else plays and whatnot. Perhaps a game sometime?

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I have played chess in the past although I don't play it that much anymore.

Good game though :P
k

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I wasn't on the chess team like some of my friends in high school, but I'd play against them from time to time. :P I'm sure you'd beat me though.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Chris Avatar
I wasn't on the chess team like some of my friends in high school, but I'd play against them from time to time. :P I'm sure you'd beat me though.
Well with that attitude of course I would negative Nancy. A fair amount of chess is psychological. People tend to miss this aspect a lot.

Although being a programmer I expected that you at least knew how to play. It seems to fall into the same general mind-set.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Never quite got into Chess. I did learn the game and was decent at it (compared to who I played, I guess), just never found much joy in it. I do, however, enjoy using the techniques you learn in it; mainly thinking four or five moves ahead and forcing your opponent to do what you want them to, sometimes by sacrificing yourself. For example, I play 500 Rummy with my grandparents all the time. They hate me for using this against them. I'll be waiting for a card that one of them has, so I will give them a card to go along with it in the hopes that they will pick it up and lay it down. I'll give them 15-30 points, but I'll go out and they'll lose more than that with what is in their hand. lol

{blanka}

{blanka} Avatar

ProNation

March 2007
Used to play a little on Yahoo games back when it was popular. Wasn't good though because barely anyone in my place would take it seriously. Heck, I don't even think we have a chess team in out school, which is kinda lame.

I'm pretty good with checkers and scrabble though. :D

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
My 6th grade got me obsessed with chess. He used to play it with students who wished to try and beat him (he NEVER lost) during recess and silent reading times. (20 mins a day allotted for students to read a book of their choosing.)

I would go home and play chess with my dad when he got home from work and it was really really fun. After 6th grade though, my obsession kind of died off as I progressed into junior high. Its still fun and I'll play it from time to time but not as much. I haven't played it in months lol.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Josh Avatar
Never quite got into Chess. I did learn the game and was decent at it (compared to who I played, I guess), just never found much joy in it. I do, however, enjoy using the techniques you learn in it; mainly thinking four or five moves ahead and forcing your opponent to do what you want them to, sometimes by sacrificing yourself. For example, I play 500 Rummy with my grandparents all the time. They hate me for using this against them. I'll be waiting for a card that one of them has, so I will give them a card to go along with it in the hopes that they will pick it up and lay it down. I'll give them 15-30 points, but I'll go out and they'll lose more than that with what is in their hand. lol
Maybe you never had anyone good enough to inspire you to better play? I personally love the combinations, traps, and sacrifices that you play out against an opponent. The minutes of devious thinking totally pay off as you watch someone go for your plan. Chess is most fun when you can express yourself with it and you can show your creative abilities through it.

The only game I enjoy more (but don't play much due to lack of people who even know of it) is the asian game Go. The play and the flow of the game is just ferociously beautiful.

Of course, also as you said, chess can be applied to life in many many ways. And most of the basic chess principles can be related to real life principles to govern your thinking and actions.

Hotshot Avatar
My 6th grade got me obsessed with chess. He used to play it with students who wished to try and beat him (he NEVER lost) during recess and silent reading times. (20 mins a day allotted for students to read a book of their choosing.)

I would go home and play chess with my dad when he got home from work and it was really really fun. After 6th grade though, my obsession kind of died off as I progressed into junior high. Its still fun and I'll play it from time to time but not as much. I haven't played it in months lol.
I started when I was 6, my dad taught me to play and I played against him. He never let me win. I finally beat him when I was 8. I always thought he was an assbag for that. But yeah, I let it die down for a while too. When I was around your age I hadn't played in probably 2 years. I've come to enjoy it a lot more now though, I feel like I can appreciate some of the complexities that I couldn't before.

Last Edit: Feb 28, 2010 4:58:12 GMT by Eric

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Eric I feel you man. My dad also did what you dad did, however I don't recall beating him. I bet it must have been a great feeling however to have beat him knowing he actually tried than letting you win. Or at least maybe now you appreciate it?

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Hotshot Avatar
Eric I feel you man. My dad also did what you dad did, however I don't recall beating him. I bet it must have been a great feeling however to have beat him knowing he actually tried than letting you win. Or at least maybe now you appreciate it?
Oh, for sure. Although it did suck never having won for two whole years. But because of that I learned that not all victories come easy, so I guess it was a good lesson. I'm teaching my nephew now and doing the same thing, haha.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
I'm actually pretty good at chess. Throughout the years I've always represented my school at chess, on the top board, best team each time. I play competitively quite a bit, and I've been selected to represent my school overseas. =) I really really like the game.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Quinine Avatar
I'm actually pretty good at chess. Throughout the years I've always represented my school at chess, on the top board, best team each time. I play competitively quite a bit, and I've been selected to represent my school overseas. =) I really really like the game.
We should play :)

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I'm decent. Better than your average Steve, but like Chris said, you'd probably win. But hey, I wouldn't mind a game. I play Chess Titans on 10/10 difficulty since anything less isn't much of a challenge, and I win more often than not. On 10/10, I've yet to win. So yeah.

Last Edit: Feb 28, 2010 8:28:03 GMT by Lucifer

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Lucifer Avatar
I'm decent. Better than your average Steve, but like Chris said, you'd probably win. But hey, I wouldn't mind a game. I play Chess Titans on 10/10 difficulty since anything less isn't much of a challenge, and I win more often than not. On 10/10, I've yet to win. So yeah.
I actually have two (three including one for cell) programs that I play against. One is chessmaster, which has a myriad of different players with different playing styles. It also has moderate to advanced tutorials by Josh Waitzkin (an International Master) covering many different aspects of the game.

Recently I got Fritz 12 (very recently, hence the topic) which has one of the most advanced engines available. It also is able to analyze games at a remarkably specific level. It so far seems to be a great tool for development and practical learning.

But we should arrange for a game sometime if you're down for it.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I'm most definitely down for it. :)

newBookmarkLockedFalling