Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Deko

Deko Avatar

October 2005
I think it was for some dating service...not that I clicked it or anything >_>

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
What's an ad?

(Posted both because I love ABP and because Xuzi doesn't know how to Google things for himself)

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Personally, I don't really like ads, so I don't really care.

(posted for the lulz)
k

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
xmsteel Avatar
Deko Avatar
I think it was for some dating service...not that I clicked it or anything >_>

Yeah. Like I believe that one.

: Good one.

It was, my boyfriend and I were laughing over it.

newfieldgrafix
Internet advertising... What a waste of cyberspace...

I'm fat, I'm in debt, I'm broke, I need auto insurance, I can "get laid tonight", I'm "tired at losing at the roulette wheel", I can get pills from pharmacies in Canadia, I've won a free iPad...

Yeah. Because I have all of those problems.

Proboards' Patrick says using ABP is stealing.
How many webmasters are currently concerned about the some 0.02% (or whatever) of the surfing population using AdBlocking software?

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
I understand how they think it is stealing but as long as they don't go out of business for not having enough page views i think i am fine...
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

newfieldgrafix
Well, they did it to themselves... Kind of ironic.

Ads blink Flash, Pulsate, Make noises, Scream...

I suffer from Aphasia, which could render me permanently unable to comprehend basic English if I have a severe enough attack. Triggered by all the things above. I block them for the sake of safety. Fuck 'em.

newfieldgrafix
How about you go fuck yourself?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Zell: they only care when that 0.02% comprises close to 25% of their page views... which probably happens in the case of internet forums. :P

newfieldgrafix
Not my problem, Chris. It's their own fault. I really endorse the use of legitimate advertising. Google Text ads are great. Nicely themed from a site's CSS, low bandwidth, fantastic.

The "Zwinky" ads are a piece of shit. Who needs a useless avatar that will come with free adware? Complete waste of adspace. You're probably in agreement?

But yeah, it's a real shame the legitimate ads get blocked also. But, meh. Their loss...

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
We need a Super Adblock Plus Titanium Edition that blocks the shitty ads and gives us the non-shitty ones. The work required to maintain the filter would be insane, but totally worth it for the sites.

Or, you know, they could just stop putting security threatening, loud and obnoxious, flash banner ads every three inches.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Zell: I think certain ABP filters actually let you choose, but I agree completely.

newfieldgrafix
Chris Avatar
Zell: I think certain ABP filters actually let you choose, but I agree completely.

Can't risk one getting through. I'm just about coming out of my problems after a year's worth of hell. The slightest thing could throw me back months.

Until new legislation is in place, I have my lovely ABP (plus my ISP blocks ads too - something that ALL UK ISPs will offer in the near future <3)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Interesting... I'm wondering how UK ISPs blocking ads will effect American companies. On that note, I do know that ABP doesn't block everything adwise unfortunately. That's an issue as well.

newfieldgrafix
Well, US based Ad agencies better find a non-invasive way to advertise. Once Ofcom (Communications Auth.) slams it's hammer down - that's it. I do fear that it will lead to content providers from blocking services to the UK. But then again, a DDoS against CPA and other net-scum companies will likely fix that. For the less proactive, there's always proxy.

As for ABP, there's always Ghostery.

newBookmarkLockedFalling