Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005

kidding :D

But srsly. Epic XD
k

loverboiv3

loverboiv3 Avatar

Official Member

February 2011
i would spend so much on something like that....

loverboiv3

loverboiv3 Avatar

Official Member

February 2011
i know -_-; but i bet there is something like that in the works

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
It would be simple. All you need to do is take a picture from the back of your computer monitor and make it your desktop background :D

It's a little more complicated than that, but ok. Whatever you need to think to help yourself sleep at night.
k

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Honestly, I'm surprised a company hasn't come out with a monitor with webcams baked into the backside to produce something like this, but only in real time. I've seen DIY versions on YouTube, so it's definitely possible. It just seems like this would be a niche market companies would try to grab.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Honestly, I'm surprised a company hasn't come out with a monitor with webcams baked into the backside to produce something like this, but only in real time. I've seen DIY versions on YouTube, so it's definitely possible. It just seems like this would be a niche market companies would try to grab.

But that would only be half transparent. True transparency would be seeing through both sides, which is probably not too hard to accomplish, but expensive and worthless.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
or we can just wait till they make the computer screens from avatar (holographic) :D
k

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar

The issue with that is determining the viewing angle for multiple users and having it change based on that, yet be different for the two people viewing. :P Great idea and would be amazing, but yeah.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Chris Avatar
Josh Avatar

The issue with that is determining the viewing angle for multiple users and having it change based on that, yet be different for the two people viewing. :P Great idea and would be amazing, but yeah.

Hm. That would actually be possible. You could use a backfacing camera that swivel close to a full 180o sphere and have a Kinect camera situated so it is facing the use. The Kinect camera detects the person's eyes when they sit down (or nose, maybe. 1 detection point would be better than 2 and the nose would always be pointing the way your face is turned) and use that detection point to determine how close they are, what angle their head is tilted, and which way their head is pointing. Have software translate that into a coordiate for the backfacing camera to look and have Windows (or whatever) display the video feed as the wallpaper.

The only issue would be timing. I don't think that Kinect has the ping times necessary to make this seem like it is realtime (and not like webcams a few years ago where you move and then sends that feed 10 seconds later)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Kinect would be the closest you can get I'm betting. That still doesn't solve the issue of two people (say one over your shoulder) looking and seeing an incorrect angle. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Chris Avatar
Kinect would be the closest you can get I'm betting. That still doesn't solve the issue of two people (say one over your shoulder) looking and seeing an incorrect angle. :P

Well obviously that isn't a solveable issue without going to the Minority Report interface. But Kinect is pretty damn good at recognizing a person even when another person or object crosses in front of that person. So having two people in front of it wouldn't be a problem for determining the backface camera's angle and zoom level.

This should be your thesis project, Chris. Do it now before someone else does it. :P A few years early, but who gives a shit? lol. It'd be an awesome exercise.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh, I think it'd just be easier to make a legitimate transparent screen instead of...whatever the hell you're suggesting. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Lucifer Avatar
Josh, I think it'd just be easier to make a legitimate transparent screen instead of...whatever the hell you're suggesting. :P

It would be even easier to take a pic from the back of your pc.

And display it at the wrong angle? The exact problem Josh was trying to solve? PERFECT IDEA.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
xmsteel Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

It would be even easier to take a pic from the back of your pc.

Just when I thought your posts couldn't possibly be more stupid, you surpassed my expectations.
k

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar

Honestly... it wouldn't be too difficult. They already have Kinect code out there that moves a game camera with the movements of your head, you'd just have to alter that code to control a rear mounted, motorized camera. They also have a whole slew of apps that allow you to put video on your desktop. :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling