Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Jim Avatar
Holy shit. I haven't seen combo in... I don't even know how long.

Right?! I have the strangest erection right now.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I... I forgot he existed. O_o

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar
Inquire never, so always need elephants.

May 2009
I also play guitar (and bass by association) and recently got a harmonica and am attempting to learn that.

Bass guitar right? ...because the bass is a completely different monster if you want to try and play it after having played guitar.

Also, I'm a pianist. I've been one for about 8 years or so and am decent. Also, at the violinist who wants to read other clefs, you learn all about the clefs if you do grade 5 theory. (or higher) They require you to transpose and whatnot.

As for the tuba, I actually played a bit of tuba (briefly) when I was browsing for a second instrument I could take, as my music scholarship covers lessons for up to two instruments and it'd be a waste to not do two. (although, I really don't practice anything other than piano)

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
~Memzak~ Avatar
I also play guitar (and bass by association) and recently got a harmonica and am attempting to learn that.

Bass guitar right? ...because the bass is a completely different monster if you want to try and play it after having played guitar.

Also, I'm a pianist. I've been one for about 8 years or so and am decent. Also, at the violinist who wants to read other clefs, you learn all about the clefs if you do grade 5 theory. (or higher) They require you to transpose and whatnot.

As for the tuba, I actually played a bit of tuba (briefly) when I was browsing for a second instrument I could take, as my music scholarship covers lessons for up to two instruments and it'd be a waste to not do two. (although, I really don't practice anything other than piano)

Yes, I figured bass GUITAR was implied.

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar

May 2009
:P
Just clarifying, because I eventually took the bass as my second instrument and it's rather challenging to get the correct notes if you don't develop the 'ear' for it...

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
~Memzak~ Avatar
:P
Just clarifying, because I eventually took the bass as my second instrument and it's rather challenging to get the correct notes if you don't develop the 'ear' for it...

It's not just your ear, but your feel, too. Getting the muscle memory to know where a certain note is on the neck, the pressure to apply to the string, etc. It's a tough habit to build, but holy hell I love a good stand up bass player at work.

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar

May 2009
Yea, feel helps, but I found the ear makes or breaks it. If you can't hear when you are slightly off then you can't adjust to fix it...

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
~Memzak~ Avatar
Yea, feel helps, but I found the ear makes or breaks it. If you can't hear when you are slightly off then you can't adjust to fix it...

Yeah, that's true. But at the same time, I've seen pros who can carry on a conversation playing tunes simply because they have such good muscle memory, the notes are ingrained in them as second nature.

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar

May 2009
That's also true, as it is for any instrument... on easier pieces I can talk whilst playing the piano (albeit it is a real hassle and only really possible on my easier pieces, else there'd be about a 50% chance to fail)

Although, piano is my first instrument. I'm pumping the hours of practice into that in order to get even more amazing so that I can play more amazing pieces in order to pump up my amazingness in order to play even MORE amazing pieces...

tl;dr Piano addict in progress.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I would love to learn the piano. I mean, granted, I know HOW to play one. I have enough music under my belt that figuring it out wasn't very hard. I even started learning some of my tuba music on a piano once (which sounded great, by the way). However, I don't actually know any legitimate piano songs and I don't know if I'll ever be able to separate my left and right hands in my head to play two different things.

combo

combo Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Jim Avatar
Holy shit. I haven't seen combo in... I don't even know how long.

Right?! I have the strangest erection right now.

;)

Discussions about tuba's always warrant returns after years of absence

Last Edit: Jan 18, 2013 13:23:16 GMT by combo
"I'd decapitate him, then shit down his neck"

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar

May 2009
Wait, how are you so well known with only 37 posts? (2 of which were in this thread...)

Were your previous 35 posts really that legendary? Awesome.

As for piano, learn chords/harmonies and stuff you can play and then just fool around from there.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
~Memzak~ Avatar
Wait, how are you so well known with only 37 posts? (2 of which were in this thread...)

As for piano, learn chords/harmonies and stuff you can play and then just fool around from there.

Most of the old timers here (those who joined mostly in '05, or in '06) go way back on forums previous to SZ like SolidSnake Designs (SSD), Zanmato Design (ZD), Hatake Forum, SoCal, and probably a couple other ones I can't think of right now (what was the one sky.strife was admin of, and what the fuck happened to that guy?). Combo was never very active here (obviously), but he was extremely active at SSD and ZD like the rest of us (though I never really cared for the community at SSD and stuck mostly to ZD). So yeah, that's why a few of us are geeking out since we all know him quite well, but the forums we all met on originally are long since dead (at least to my knowledge) and he didn't come around these parts much (hence 37 posts).

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Lucifer Avatar
~Memzak~ Avatar

Most of the old timers here (those who joined mostly in '05, or in '06) go way back on forums previous to SZ like SolidSnake Designs (SSD), Zanmato Design (ZD), Hatake Forum, SoCal, and probably a couple other ones I can't think of right now (what was the one sky.strife was admin of, and what the fuck happened to that guy?). Combo was never very active here (obviously), but he was extremely active at SSD and ZD like the rest of us (though I never really cared for the community at SSD and stuck mostly to ZD). So yeah, that's why a few of us are geeking out since we all know him quite well, but the forums we all met on originally are long since dead (at least to my knowledge) and he didn't come around these parts much (hence 37 posts).

But yes, yes his 35 posts were that legendary.

combo

combo Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
Chris Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

But yes, yes his 35 posts were that legendary.

YEAH IM A BIG DEAL K?...

Honestly I was just thinking about Zanmato the other day and was pondering if any of the old boards still survive. Proboards seems almost apocalyptic compared to what it used to be. its good to see your all doing well though, Chris, Lucifer, Jim, ect.
"I'd decapitate him, then shit down his neck"

newBookmarkLockedFalling