Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
I think there are way too may gfx/coding forums out there. Barring the big ones n several cool upcoming ones - most such plain suck anyways cos there's always an initial spurt of activity but then it slackens due to falling interest and these places have nothing new to offer. Most don't even stand out. But its like a new trend --- Lets make a gfx/coding forum whether I know how to do either or not.

Personally I think Studio Zero is the best coding forum on Proboards. Socal is also quite awesome. Provision is refreshingly smooth.

Big design sites - not very fond of SSD (no offence intended) -- its just too huge and noobs tend to get lost out in the crowd and that dampens interest. Atleast for me thats wat happened. My favorite gfx site wud have to be DX5. They got the best stuff. HOT!

Forums like Roddy Innovations, Kronos Designs and SIGFX are also really cool and will do very well in the long run.

But bottomline - There's too many gfx/coding forums - much like there's way too many RPG forums.

Any thoughts?

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Lets bring all the members of the other design sites to SZ. <_<
k

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Then SZ will be like SSD, A huge forum of nobodys. :-/

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
not with me modding XD XD XD XD XD XD XD X DX DX DX DXD XD X DX D XD and ect.
k

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
It's a fad that should be shot. Shot dead.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I don't think that this "fad" will ever end <_<
k

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Hell yes there are too many design forums. I'm surprised people are still making them, but I guess they just think they can't have a good board unless it's based around graphic design and coding, and much less to make it so specific as for ProBoards only.

I didn't even like the idea of SZ when I first heard about it. I was wondering why Joe and CD would try to make a design board with so friggin' many out there...besides CD's being bored, that was nothing new. I guess I was wrong, though, as so far I've heard good things about SZ, so kudos. (Not that I would know I barely go to the other boards. =O)

Last Edit: Jan 9, 2007 1:46:25 GMT by Ess Ohh

mukei

mukei Avatar

July 2006
People do realize there are gfx forums outside of PB? :P

Honestly, there is nothing that will be able to beat IF Skin Zone, and I mean nothing. ZD certainly did have the potential in the early days, but, well, we know what happened there. For example, even if SZ were to become the most popular forum in PB, then it would still look incredibly tiny compared to many forums hosted by VBullutein and Invision, mainly because of the amount of publicity PB can reach, which is extremely minimal compared to VBullutein and Invision.

Seriously. SSD. Kronos. DX5. SZ. Nothing compared to a forum like IF Skin Zone.

Now, back to the actual topic. There were too many gfx sites since PS CS has been out. There are so many noobs, and yes, I have total right to call them noobs, the same way Greg Martin can call be a digital artist noob, they think they're all that. It's funny at first, and then it gets sick. The sickness is mainly because of the amount of ripping involved, and how their work still looks terrible after ripping. It like taking a piece of art, ripping it in half, and calling it your own.

Let the noobs enjoy their wonderful looking gfx forums. No one cares and no one will.

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
I happen to second most of that ^^

As for Invision and VBulletin - since the time that I started forum-hopping about two years ago -- I've gotten so used to Proboards that I'm way too lazy to go to anything else (although I'm kinda liking Yuku some more everyday). Invision has some bloody slick looking places. And care to gimme the link to IF Skin Zone - I doubt I will join - more like no, but I wanna have a look.

mukei

mukei Avatar

July 2006
Google is your friend. :P

forums.ifskinzone.net/index.php

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
simie said:
Then SZ will be like SSD, A huge forum of nobodys. :-/

Hey now, I happen to be a "nobody" that mods there.

*eyes you*

Haha. Anyways, yeah, there are too many of them.

SSD isn't as bad as it seems. Yeah they've lost a lot of great staff members, and great members, but there's members that join and are welcomed into the community daily. Sure some of the upper staff can be unfair at times, but everyone has their own way of running a forum. SSD is the biggest design forum around, no doubt.

When Zanmato was still here they were in second spot, but since their failure, we've stolen that spotlight.

Either we wrestle with G101 for that spot, or they pull in at third.

All the others, I don't even bother mentioning 'cause they're not as well known.

A few that I do know of DX5 and Kronos. But that's about it.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Every once in a while, one of those "little known" graphics forums becomes a huge hit. SZ was that. We may have gotten lucky, but it worked. I'm still not quite sure how, but I think we put Hatake Forum out of business in the process. :P (My bad SO. But it's Naruto's fault too!) You jsut gotta get lucky anymore it seems.

Every once in a while, I'll check "GOAYB" at PBS, and if I look for "design" or "graphics" forums, most of them turn out to be crap anymore. It's hard to find a good design forum with a real template. Part of this falls into the necessity of a coder anymore. Those without one have trouble, as a coder is almost required anymore. Without unique coding, people seem to dislike the forums or they can't provide any form of coding support or resources.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Even if i wanted to open a design forum, i couldn't. I can't code or make graphics worth crap, so i keep deciding against opening one because i know it'll just be another abandoned noobish forum.
k

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
aznx said:

Well I meant PB board trends. I have no idea how popular other kinds of forums are on invision or whatever.

And I'd never make any kind of design forum either. Or probably any other one, most likely...

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
shadowyone said:
aznx said:

Well I meant PB board trends. I have no idea how popular other kinds of forums are on invision or whatever.

And I'd never make any kind of design forum either. Or probably any other one, most likely...

There's design forums outside of remotely hosted forums, you do realize that I hope. :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling