Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
So, I'm bored and figured I'd make a thread, even if it's one no one will respond to.

I was just curious, have you recently stumbled upon a new band (not necessarily new themselves, but merely new to you) that you find to be exceptional? A band you think everyone should hear about? I've found a few recently.

First off, The Berzerker. I highly doubt any of you would like them, but they're pretty much awesome (and from Australia). They're a grindcore band which I'm usually not into, though there are exceptions (ie: Napalm Death and Pig Destroyer). What I especially like about them (other than the fact that they're not completely incoherent noise like a lot of ameteur grindcore bands are) is that they use a digital drum kit. The first album used a drum machine so it sounded very computerized and once they got a real drummer for the rest of the albums, they stuck with the techno sound. I think it adds a lot of character to hear that classic techno "oomph oomph" coming from a bass drum. I can't even pick out a standout track, really. They all kick ass. Probably "Reality" off of their first self-entitled album and "No One Wins" off of Dissimulate if I had to choose.

Another great band is Gojira. They're pretty much the best thing to ever come out of France. They're a groove metal band (think Lamb of God, Pantera, or a far-less technical Mastodon) and they have some pretty crushing music. There's not much to say about them. Gojira is great when you're up at 2:30 in the morning on a school night because you can't sleep or if you're on drugs. It's fast and heavy and groovy...but still so calm. It's metal you can chill to. With a song titles like "Satan is a Lawyer" and "Flying Whales", how can you go wrong?

The last band I'll bring up is Malfeitor. Malfeitor is a black metal band hailing from Italy. Now, I'm not usually a fan of black metal. Most of it sounds like shit and sometimes the whole "Satan is cool and Jesus should be ripped apart by evil things" schtick gets a little old, but Malfeitor definitely have a very crisp sound with some awesome vocals. I do like good black metal (ie: Marduk and Lord Belial) and I think these guys are up there. They've only released one album so far (in '07) and I really like it. I mean, if you know anything about black metal, you'll know what to expect. They just do it really good. My two favorite songs are "Jesus Christi to the Lions" and "Baphomet". Seriously, the latter has an awesome intro. "Ba-pho-MET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111" I can't even emphasize how awesome that scream is. If you're into extreme metal, black metal, or you're just curious, check 'em out. They're new and I think you'll like them (if you're into that kind of music).

So yeah, ya'll should check these bands out. Just give 'em a listen and maybe you might like them. A good friend of mine is really into punk (Rancid, Social Distortion) and older metal (Van Halen and Ozzy Osbourne) and even HE liked The Berzerker. I'm not asking you to like the bands, but give them a try.

What about you? Any new and awesome and hip bands that you've just discovered or think we might like?

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
I actually just made a song for James (Jim) yesterday. :P

Songs:
They Say by Scars on Broadway (Darron Malakian of SOAD's solo project)
Hero by Pop Evil
Down and Out by Tantric
When Angels & Serpents Dance by P.O.D.
Addicted by Saving Abel
So Happy by Theory of a Deadman
Alias by In Flames
Inside the Fire by Disturbed
Entire new Sevendust album
I'm Not Jesus and I Don't Care by Apocalyptica (two songs)
Holy Diver by Killswitch Engage (you probably heard it but it owns x10)
Hear Me Now by Framing Hanley
The Way of the Fist and The Bleeding by Five Finger Death Punch (two rather hard songs. You may not like it)
Dance of the Manatee by Fair to Midland
Different Than You by The Exies

Some bands for you to check out period:
Self Made Self
Rejn
Celldweller
A Swarm of the Sun
Submersed
So They Say
Seive (Basically a more modern Filter)
Operator (the guy sounds so much like old Cornell it's disturbing)
Hurt (Ten Ton Brick and Unclean, specifically)
This is my old account. This is my new account

nrich

nrich Avatar

Banned

October 2006
Gojira is insanely good. Their new album is one of my most anticipated this year.

I heard Operator on the radio once, and I fucking freaked because it sounded like Cornell put together a new solo album out of thin air. Whoever the vocalist really is, he's got some mad pipes.

New music for me? Mostly indie stuff like Gazelles, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Mae Shi, Gowns or Aaron Ross. I'm not keen on what's being played on the radio anymore, nor do I ever really know about brand new bands in general, but I come full circle here and there. I'm not big on telling people to listen to recommendation, either. They usually fag out and diss it because they don't appreciate underground music, or whatever that all is. I've discovered a mountain of new music through them, though, so you'd think they'd decide to look around themselves.

Last Edit: Apr 13, 2008 7:41:34 GMT by nrich

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar

Oh my sweet Jesus, YES! I absolutely love that new song. I can't wait for Indestructable to be released. I've been looking forward to this album for like a year now.

Last Edit: Apr 13, 2008 18:49:34 GMT by Lucifer

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
Lucifer Avatar
Josh Avatar

Oh my sweet Jesus, YES! I absolutely love that new song. I can't wait for Indestructable to be released. I've been looking forward to this album for like a year now.

You see the artwork yet? It's freaking amazing.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fd/Indestructible.jpg/780px-Indestructible.jpg

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Yeah, that's sweet, but I'm still not sure that that's going to be the artwork. If you go to their MySpace and listen to one of the new songs, you'll see different artwork displayed in the player. Both are cool, but I hope it's the one with "The Guy" because it's badass.

Edit: Actually, the album art I'm thinking of is for the "Inside the Fire" single only.

Last Edit: Apr 13, 2008 19:47:24 GMT by Lucifer

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
Yeah, that's the official artwork. The page in their Myspace photos said "Indestructible Cover Art" for about 25 minutes before they edited it off. Unless they took it off because they changed their minds, that's the cover art. Which is good. That character has been their mascot for ages now. It's about time it got an album dedicated to it (Ten Thousand Fists does not count. :P)

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Yeah, for sure. I'm so pumped for the new album because I KNOW it's going to be good. Rarely can a band one-up their previous album, but they have every time so far.

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
Believe over The Sickness is a little iffy (mainly because of the B-Sides from the Sickness but oh well)

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Believe over The Sickness is a little iffy (mainly because of the B-Sides from the Sickness but oh well)

I actually prefer Believe to The Sickness quite a bit. The riffing is a lot better and the vocals are much more melodic. A lot of people say that it's not as aggressive, but I'll take a musically superior album over a "more aggressive" album any day.

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
Lucifer Avatar
Josh Avatar

I actually prefer Believe to The Sickness quite a bit. The riffing is a lot better and the vocals are much more melodic. A lot of people say that it's not as aggressive, but I'll take a musically superior album over a "more aggressive" album any day.

Hell and God of the Mind are enough reasons for me to like The Sickness more. :P Not to mention Perfect Insanity (which isn't nearly as good as the remake but oh well)

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Hell and God of the Mind are enough reasons for me to like The Sickness more. :P Not to mention Perfect Insanity (which isn't nearly as good as the remake but oh well)

"God of the Mind" is pretty decent and "Hell" is just fucking phenomenal, but "Hell" was released on one of the "Stricken" singles, so I thought it was from the 10,000 Fists era. It definitely sounds like it's from The Sickness, though.

Still, though, I don't count B-Sides.

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
Hmm. Apparently it is a Ten Thousand Fists b-side. oO I had my info wrong. I swear it was up on their Myspace quite a bit before Stricken. Damn.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
It may very well have been recorded before Stricken (like I said, it sounds like their older stuff), but it's official release was on the Stricken single.

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
Lucifer Avatar
It may very well have been recorded before Stricken (like I said, it sounds like their older stuff), but it's official release was on the Stricken single.

It does. But Wikipedia says it is a TTF b-side

newBookmarkLockedFalling