Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I wasn't sure whether this should go in Coder's Hangout or not, but I'm posting it here first. What's the best free anti-virus program in your opinion? As of now I've pretty much narrowed it between AVG and avast! right now. Which one is better? I'm looking for real-time protection, as well. Should I just get both? Or would that completely hog my system resources? Just wondering.

I'm also thinking of getting SpywareDoctor, so if you have an opinion on that, it would be good, too. (I already have Ad-Aware, Spybot, SB, Microsoft AS, etc.)

Jamie85

Jamie85 Avatar

Studio Member

August 2005
Well I can't give you a comparison between the two, as I only use AVG. I also have zone alarm security suite's AV protection, but that's not a free program.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I use McAffee, so I have no comment. :P

fatalmio
Its really hard to say really, i have nortan which is pretty good, but every virus program has its problems, but hey if there is a better one then nortan id use it :D

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Thanks. Does AVG offer real-time protection to stop things before they get in? If so, I'm getting that.

Jamie85

Jamie85 Avatar

Studio Member

August 2005
I'm not sure if it's that exactly, or whether it notifies you as soon as it detects that you have one...

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Notification is live-time protection, Jamie :P

Jamie85

Jamie85 Avatar

Studio Member

August 2005
Eh, I didn't want to go saying it was without knowing for sure :P

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Oh, that's real-time protection is? I thought it would actually block it for you and tell you that it was blocked from coming in. O_o

Do any free anti-virus programs do this or have I just been dreaming?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
AVG has done that for me before... ;D
I need more practice making sigs... (Kicks Xylish and asks for help) -.-

Nicola

Nicola Avatar

Official Member

September 2005
Yes, get AVG orr else you shall make the Gods unhappy. And last time they got unhappy, I cried. =(

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
All right -- can't argue with that logic. But does AVG block stuff or just notify you about it?

Nicola

Nicola Avatar

Official Member

September 2005
I think so, but I have it off all the time because I used to get "Virus Found" all the time. <_<

lady

lady Avatar

September 2005
ive heard of AvG i heard its not very good, but to each there own, im not sure what is the best really

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I have Panda Titanium.

Works wonders for me! :)

newBookmarkLockedFalling