Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
mojaveexperiment.com/

Totally lol.

webmaren

webmaren Avatar
Una salus vicits, nullam sperare salutem

Dedicated Member

August 2007
Yeah there is always the overweighted negative reviews of a new OS. But having used Vista, OS X: Leopard, and Ubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu wins all the way. Vista comes in last. I know it's an improvement over XP, but there's just no reason to use it for me.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
If they've never used Vista, or for that matter, couldn't identify it, what do their opinions matter? :P

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I love how Microsoft is doing this. I've been following it for a while now and I laugh at the fact that they are using people who are not very familiar with computers in this experiment and, as far as I have read (didn't read the link. Wouldn't load), they don't ever let the people use "Mojave" just watch as others demo it and then ask for their opinions.

And like Web, I've used all three current generation OSs. Vista is the system on the family PC, I have a MacBook with Leopard and, before I caused a crash in the system and had to restore, Ubuntu on a partition. It's quite easily Leopard > Ubuntu > Vista. Hell, I'd even throw XP in there between Ubuntu and Vista. Vista just flat out sucks. The security is damned annoying (I shouldn't have to tell the computer that I really want to open up the control panel. =\), the system is slow (For fuck sake, drop legacy support. You shouldn't be supporting 20 year old system software anymore), has loads and loads of UI inconsistencies, has little driver support (why is it that Philips webcams still are not supported?) among other things. Leopard is my OS of choice and probably will be for a few generations of it but Ubuntu is a few features and a Good GUI away from catching up to where Leopard is right now (granted... who knows what Apple will cook up before Ubuntu catches up. Just look at Leopard. Linux distros at the time were just finally starting to catch up to Tiger and then Leopard is announced.)

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
I still say Ubuntu doesn't make for a competent desktop right now. Not the most usable OS (though that changes considerably every six months), but regardless, there aren't all too many hardware vendors out there supporting it. In that sense, i'd honestly take Vista over it any day. But plain and simple: if it works on your system and you like it, be happy. :P

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
I love both Vista and Leopard.

I have Vista on my dell notebook and love it way more than XP on my desktop. It's way hotter to look at and I've not had even 1 problem in the last 4 months that I've had Vista. I've customized it just the way I want it. Unnecessary services disabled, my own firewall installed etc. It's such a pleasure to work on Vista. I don't understand why people hate it.

Having said that, Leopard in unparalleled. It is most likely the hottest OS ever made in the history of computers. I use it at work everyday and will have it at home soon (MacBook comes in early september - can't wait). It's visually superior to Vista undoubtedly and you have the super-efficient Darwin core working under it.

Linux distros - the only one I have ever liked is Fedora Core 2 and 3. Have never been interested in anything else.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
This just goes to prove "Don't judge a book by its cover." Or then again what your friends tell you as the people in the clips said they had heard bad things about it.. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Hotshot Avatar
This just goes to prove "Don't judge a book by its cover." Or then again what your friends tell you as the people in the clips said they had heard bad things about it.. :P

They never even got to try the OS, only got to watch a 10 minute demo by a Microsoft employee. How can they form an educated opinion on that? =\

webmaren

webmaren Avatar
Una salus vicits, nullam sperare salutem

Dedicated Member

August 2007
Aaron Avatar
I still say Ubuntu doesn't make for a competent desktop right now. Not the most usable OS (though that changes considerably every six months), but regardless, there aren't all too many hardware vendors out there supporting it. In that sense, i'd honestly take Vista over it any day. But plain and simple: if it works on your system and you like it, be happy. :P

Almost no hardware vendors "support" Linux, but it works on just about everything. The only stuff that isn't awesome out of the box is some wireless and some monitors. Everything else works great. And the memory footprint is insanely small. I'm only using like 30% of my 768MB of memory right now, with FF3, Pidgin, Evolution, and AmaroK running. Vista takes a gig or two at idle.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
My lord, i've got a stalker.

For one, thank you for repeating what I said (and even with a hint of nonsensical sarcasm). Two, no, it's hardly compatible with "just about everything." And please, please, please read up on these things before posting. I'm a lazy asshole and if there's one thing I hate, it's having to continually explain the obvious.

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Josh Avatar
Hotshot Avatar

They never even got to try the OS, only got to watch a 10 minute demo by a Microsoft employee. How can they form an educated opinion on that? =\

Yeah, but still in general.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
This is where I say I still prefer XP over Vista. (Yes, I've tried Vista for a bit... and I hate it.) I've yet to try Leopard or Ubuntu (past helping install it for a friend).

As for that link... meh. :P Anyone can be bribed.

Twitch

Twitch Avatar

Official Member

Female

August 2008
I don't trust anything Microsoft does...hell, I hate Microsoft. The only good thing that ever came from them was the Xbox (2, 360 counted as "Xbox") and Halo (1, 2, and 3).

I doubt that these people have any knowledge of what makes a computer good. Not sure it was actually a 10-minute demo, but even if they DID get to try the OS, I'm sure they rigged it (figuratively speaking) to not have the ridiculous amount of software automatically installed.

I use Fedora Core 8. I like it -- if you have Wine working on it, you can run almost anything that can run on Windows. That aside, I think it runs much more smoothly than any Windows OS. Never tried Ubuntu or Leopard, but I can almost guarantee they're better than Vista. My brother has it -- he doesn't really like it, but he put Linux on it too (didn't know you could have so OSs on a computer before that XD), so he's fairly happy. (Thank God, now he doesn't ask to get on my computer constantly. -.-) Fedora is pretty easy to use (though, switching from XP, it takes some getting used to).

Anyways...I still hate Microsoft, regardless of whatever they try to pull next. x.x

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
Aaron Avatar
My lord, i've got a stalker.

For one, thank you for repeating what I said (and even with a hint of nonsensical sarcasm). Two, no, it's hardly compatible with "just about everything." And please, please, please read up on these things before posting. I'm a lazy asshole and if there's one thing I hate, it's having to continually explain the obvious.

Actually, linux is compatible with just about everything. Granted, you may have to download a driver or two, but other then that, it accepts all hardware that isn't absolutely proprietary. Hell, it accepts NVidia cards. Now of course the drivers are updated by NVidia and aren't open source, but if the manufactures won't comply with allowing the use of their hardware on open source platforms, it's not wasting your time on them. Especially when you can go out and buy the same thing or better more likely then not, from a company that actually supports open source or allows their hardware to be used on such systems.

I've used Linux for close to a decade now. Only twice have I had an instance where something wouldn't work to it's fullest. Both were the manufactures fault for not supporting linux.

Eventually, your argument will be one hundred percent inaccurate. Why? Because it's open source. Things are constantly being developed to function on open source, and seeing as it's developed by the users, it will get updated as the hardware does, and compatibility will grow.

As far as the Mojave project goes. I think it's bull shit. They don't let the people aren't using it long term. They're seeing it on an ideal system, in an ideal environment, and probably with out the programs they would use every day.

The second you start loading that thing with programs, photos, music, videos, work files, you're going to notice things that weren't there when you first started using it. Granted, it may not be super slow, but you can only pile so much stuff on.

And Microsoft isn't helping as far as lightening the load. They've been building on the same shit since Windows 2000 was released. So now they have a mess of code, and it's just been repeatedly added to.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
I'm aware my point won't be valid in time. Which is why I used words like "right now," "changes," and "months."

I'm not talking about things running. I'm talking about them working. Linux is inhibited from playing a major role in quality control for the matter that hardware vendors aren't all too welcoming. Because of this, it's incredibly hard for developers to even make compatible drivers.

I'm all for Ubuntu, but it's not desktop-ready. Again, if it works on your pc, i'm happy for you, but when do we start adapting hardware more around software than software around hardware? I'm sure you can throw me a few examples, but an OS isn't one.

newBookmarkLockedFalling