Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
Didn't think it possible to get so headstrong in so few sentences. =p

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
There is no proof of any kind that a higher being affects our lives in any way, shape or form.

All of the notions of God, or Gods, are purely fabricated, figments of imagination that give people who do not trust fellow man, something to believe in.

Think about it, all that religion does is get people to believe in a common good, and it starts wars.

You don't have to believe me, but think about it.

Heres an idea, read the rest of the debate before you reply?
k

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
There is no proof of any kind that a higher being affects our lives in any way, shape or form.

All of the notions of God, or Gods, are purely fabricated, figments of imagination that give people who do not trust fellow man, something to believe in.

Think about it, all that religion does is get people to believe in a common good, and it starts wars.

You don't have to believe me, but think about it.

there isn't any proof that it doesn't exist either... lol you can't win people have their opinions and to be honest with you everyone is welcome to it.. people shouldn't fight because someone believes something...

now i could believe that my big toe is god... i could say this and would this start a war? no but its what i could believe... i don't obviously lol its just an example.

and i do agree with fredy you really should read the whole debate before answering lol

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
As an indirect contributor to a good deal of this thread, I can honestly say there's no real debate for the kid to review.

He'd only have served to waste even more of his time. p=

ishmael

ishmael Avatar

Official Member

Male

February 2009
I do apologise, you are right, I should have read the debate, I read the thread title and just put my two sense in about my opinion on that matter. Thank you for the kind "reminders", I'll remember to go through everything before typing something out.

Last Edit: Feb 13, 2009 0:54:54 GMT by ishmael

What, you wanted to check out a shweet tutorial?

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Please don't take offense to my reply. I just have a pet peeve with people posting the same thing over and over without reading first :P
k

Kairo

Kairo Avatar
Truly...

Official Member

October 2007
I don't understand why some of you are so quick to disprove religion... so what if some of us choose to believe in an unseen omnipotent being. What difference does it make to you. For some, that's all they really have, faith. Telling someone their religion is false is like saying you don't really belong to your parents, or telling a young child that Santa isn't real. Things of that nature... you wouldn't feel so good would you? That's essentially what your doing to someone who has faith in god.

However, this IS a debate, and the purpose here is to do just that, say your word against or with religion. Me? I am with religion and I am a proud christian and soldier of god. However I don't really follow religion, I'm more spiritual than religious. Like a few others on here I believe that no human mind, no science, and no religion can truly comprehend what is beyond the living realm. To an extent, maybe, but like Fredy's article, I believe that humans have limited sense's and thus can not experience anything more than what our senses will allow. I believe we can only learn what God has tried to teach us and has allowed us to understand.

I do believe in what the bible says to a certain degree, of course I would being a Christian and all, but I take a lot of the first half of the bible like a big metaphor, like Adam and Eve for instance. For all I know Adam and Eve could have been two tiny biological cell's that gave birth to millions of other cell's that grew into humans. It sounds dumb, and I don't believe that's the case, but the point I'm trying to make is as a human I don't know how God works things out. I just have faith that he is real, and in the end that is all that matters. No science could tell me otherwise, and no non-believer theories could sway my opinion.

Last Edit: Feb 16, 2009 2:41:31 GMT by Kairo

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
I had no idea Fredy was so awesome.

I may post a big reply soon.
enalia.proboards92.com/index.cgi

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
lol. I'm awesome?
k

ishmael

ishmael Avatar

Official Member

Male

February 2009
Well said Kairo, contrary to what I may have sounded like, I am not trying to disprove religion. People may take unrestrained and unrepresented leaps of faith into the unknown for all I care. Besides the fact that religions really only affect the world in negative ways, i.e. wars, they don't affect me at all. I realize religions supposedly bring people together, but what consequence is of greater value? People getting together a few times a week to dress up and pretend the world is ok for an hour, or mass slaughter/genocide? My take.

You also made the analogy that telling someone that religion is false is like telling a child he/she is adopted, or telling them that Santa Claus doesn't exist. Both of these, a parent tell s a child (in most cases) when the child is mature enough to handle the information. That is a good analogy in my cynical sense, I guess. Religion is like a Santa Claus, to explain something mysterious and wonderful, like presents, or the exisitence of the world, until the immature children grow up enough to learn that in actuality and reality, the mysterious and wonderful circumstances under which they were awestruck, are actually a lot more dull and anticlimactic than once though.

Now I don't pretend to know the answer to what question(s) religion is/are trying to answer, nor am I saying that having no faith in anything is a better way to live life, because it may not be. I am saying that Religion is just as unsure of a science or practice as is any other science or practice.

As my good friend Thomas Edison once said, "We don't know a millionth of one percent of anything."

Although we all have our beliefs, myself included, no book, no person, or faith can pretend to have all the answers, or any of them for that matter.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Besides the fact that religions really only affect the world in negative ways

Because feeding starving children, building houses, schools, and ect is negative?

People getting together a few times a week to dress up and pretend the world is ok for an hour, or mass slaughter/genocide?

While I will agree with you that some people do nothing else but go to church once a week, I disagree in your stereotype of all believers in God. :P

You also made the analogy that telling someone that religion is false is like telling a child he/she is adopted, or telling them that Santa Claus doesn't exist. Both of these, a parent tell s a child (in most cases) when the child is mature enough to handle the information. That is a good analogy in my cynical sense, I guess. Religion is like a Santa Claus, to explain something mysterious and wonderful, like presents, or the exisitence of the world, until the immature children grow up enough to learn that in actuality and reality, the mysterious and wonderful circumstances under which they were awestruck, are actually a lot more dull and anticlimactic than once though.

Well, continuing your analogy, in our case, noone has proved to me that santa clause doesn't exist. People are telling me that the presents made themselves out of nothing. :P

I'd argue the rest of it, but I have to go to school. :P
k

ishmael

ishmael Avatar

Official Member

Male

February 2009
When I said all, I meant most, because religion does do some good, but the good that it does the world pales in comparison to the bad. 1 house vs. 5,000 people dead. No contest.

Sterotypes are created for a reason. A sterotype is what the majority of people are seen acting like. Not all goths are satan worshipping losers who hate life, but they are seen as that because there are a lot that are. (Not necessarily satain worshipping, but you get the point.) All I'm saying is that most believers in God do nothing for the good of the world. Most of the christians I see, and I know and have been with quite a few, in different regions of the country, do good deeds for themselves for heaven, or merely believe in God because it's socially acceptable. Maybe your region has more devout christians than mine does.

Where does Santa Live? The north pole you say? What is that? There is no landmass at the north pole? Oh... Wait, you said Santa Lives Underwater? Santa is now more magical because you say so?

:P

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
When I said all, I meant most, because religion does do some good, but the good that it does the world pales in comparison to the bad. 1 house vs. 5,000 people dead. No contest.

First of all, got an official statistic to back that claim up? Or are you just assuming based upon opinion?

And second of all, The only wars I know of right now aren't even Christianity. :P

Sterotypes are created for a reason. A sterotype is what the majority of people are seen acting like. Not all goths are satan worshipping losers who hate life, but they are seen as that because there are a lot that are. (Not necessarily satain worshipping, but you get the point.)

Your analogy sucks because there is a reason its called a stereotype. Its based off of something that a few people do, and everyone is judged based upon a minority.

All I'm saying is that most believers in God do nothing for the good of the world. Most of the christians I see, and I know and have been with quite a few, in different regions of the country, do good deeds for themselves for heaven, or merely believe in God because it's socially acceptable. Maybe your region has more devout christians than mine does.

Or maybe you've caught onto the fact that alot of people who claim to be christian either aren't, or don't know their own religion.

Or maybe they are catholic. (referring to the doing good deeds to get to heaven)

Where does Santa Live? The north pole you say? What is that? There is no landmass at the north pole? Oh... Wait, you said Santa Lives Underwater? Santa is now more magical because you say so?

and this mass barrage of question is relevant.. why?
k

Kairo

Kairo Avatar
Truly...

Official Member

October 2007
I'll keep this short since I have to go do something in a moment, but in reference to your comment that religion has had a negative aspect on the world, I'd like to help sharpen that up a bit. Religion doesn't go starting wars, and if it did then I AM Santa Clause. What starts wars is its leaders. You have to understand that Christianity has been used for hundreds of years as a method of control, and a way to control the masses.

The people who you have seen are most likely false Christians. They SAY they follow the religion so they can be happy with the fact that they believe their going to heaven for saying they are Christian and what not. The sad thing here is that Christianity has been plagued by hypocrisy and corrupt people for its entire existence. The message it spreads is always being taken out of context and corrupted. Their is nothing negative in the Christian religion, but most people like to reference the bible constantly and the scary portrayals of the religion it has. In truth, the bible isn't a very good reference when discussing all the "supposed" negative aspects of Christianity because it's archaic and was written by humans, and most likely reflected their views on society at the time. Even if they did write it with the holy spirit I'm almost positive this would still be part of the case. I'm sure if the bible was re-written we would see some significant changes in how it would be portrayed.

HOWEVER, the bible has the message of Christianity, and that message is pure and positive. I wish people could understand its message more than they understand the humans that have been wrecking that message for years. That's essentially the main reason Christians have such a bad rep.

Last Edit: Mar 7, 2009 1:00:21 GMT by Kairo

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
Alright, just to summarize the events thus far xp

The justification of one's religious beliefs has been brought into question two-fold: its negative reprecussions and its very validity. That is to say, "do your beliefs constitute worser effects than those we tend to advocate?," and "are your beliefs even correct at all?"

Question One:
The approach in the opposition has been to say that religion does more harm than good. But you'd have a hell of a time contrasting the foundations we've built with those that have been toppled in the name of God. You really can't weigh them in and say we've been better off one way or the other. So you'll have to address this point some other way.

Question Two:
Those promoting their religious affiliations are arguing the necessity of their beliefs and moreover, what actually constitutes a true believer. This issue is self-explanatory in that it has been self-contradictory. The opening arguments have gone as far as to say "I take the first half of the bible as metaphor," very openly admitting thereafter that they don't know exactly what is meant by the texts or how exactly to interpret them. And yet these same people feel comfortable enough to label those who "believe the right thing."

Attend to these issues and you can continue the debate without running in circles. =p

newBookmarkLockedFalling